Not logged in - Login
< back


Collaborative Wiki Main Page

Inventory Collaborative Google Drive Link


Co-leads: Alison Eyth (EPA OAQPS), Zac Adelman (LADCO)

Mark Janssen (LADCO), Julie McDill (MARAMA), Mary Uhl (WESTAR), Tom Moore (WESTAR), Michael Vince (CENSARA), John Hornback (SESARM), Jim Boylan (GA DNR), Dave Foerter (OTC), Joe Jakuta (OTC), Chris Swab (Oregon), Doug Boyer (TCEQ), Serpil Kayin (EPA), Jeff Vukovich (EPA), Jennifer Snyder (EPA), Caroline Farkas (EPA), Sarah Roberts (EPA), Doug Boyer (TCEQ), Tammy Manning (NCDENR)

Coordination Committee Meetings

Held the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 2:00 p.m. Eastern. This wiki will be used to present the agenda before each call.

April 11, 2018

Next Call: May 9, 2018 @ 2:00 Eastern

Attendees Zac, Alison, Jim, Sarah, Serpil, Chris, Joseph, Jeff, Mark, Doug, Tammy, Caroline, Susan, Julie


  1. Review action items from March
  2. Follow up on the National Report Out Call (Zac)
  3. Coordination between workgroups (Alison + All)
  4. Creating engagement in workgroups (Zac)
  5. Defining Beta (Alison + All)
  6. Discussion of challenges by workgroup leads (All)


Follow up on the National Report Out Call (Zac)

  • Call went well, but need to allow more time for assembly of full package next time
  • People stayed within their allotted times
  • Get the notes from the call up on the wiki - Zac is working on this action item
  • Add in link to the webinar recording - need to see if LADCO has the recording
  • Follow up on unanswered questions
  • Time of the next national call: noon instead of 1:00 Eastern

Coordination Between Workgroups (Alison)

  • Discussion of where workgroups overlap (e.g., EGU point and non-EGU point splitting) and how to facilitate inter-group collaboration
  • Newly posted data:
    • Comparison report between 2014/2015/2016
    • 2016 point data summaries out there for categorizing into sectors
    • Updates to point need to get into EIS before beta version:
    • data on UNC Google drive are available in larger chunks for easier reassembly:
    • Platforms posted on FTP and Drive will be updated with 2016 alpha point sources soon
    • If there are not resources for both NEI and 2016, NEI should be the priority for states
  • Pressing coordination needed between the point inventory: any changes for the point inventory need to make it in by mid- to late-May, this includes non-EGU point elements like rail yards and ports
  • Need to know information about different types of units to help with modeling these data; need to talk in the workgroups to ensure that all of the fields needed to model the sources are available
  • Examples of workgroups that overlap: fires + non point, EGU + nonEGU point, oil & Gas + non point + nonEGU point, non-road + rail, non-road + marine, non-EGU point + rail
  • All WGs should review the growth factors (i.e., sources of data) used by each sector, to ensure consistency across the inventory

Creating Engagement In Workgroups (Zac)

  • WG co-leads face challenges of inaction by group members and by critical feedback without any suggestions for improvements
  • Translate complaints into wishes/goals
  • Need to turn a complaint around into a question or wish, every complaint is a frustrated wish
  • Remind workgroup members that we are balancing best practices and resources. Define best practices (what is possible) and prioritized given resources (what is practical)
  • Given an complaint: respond with, what is a better way of doing X? or reframe with "I wish that..."
  • Be specific about how others have provided state data, and provide timelines; with onroad WG, specified early that states could provide VMT, states then had a target of what they could collect; give very specific inputs of what they could collect/how they could contribute; avoid ambiguity
  • Whenever a state has offered up data for feedback, add them to the agenda
  • Example of where a discussion was taking away from the agenda, WG co-lead moved the discussion offline to work out the issue; set up an avenue for offline discussion if someone (or an issue) is derailing a call
  • Nonroad WG offered an example of where lively discussions on the calls have helped improve the overall process; people have shared their own development approaches, WG leads have taken these insights to the OTAQ non-road development team; discussions have been fruitful to get examples of how others have done things

Defining Beta (Alison + All)

  • How does EPA build a platform given that emissions data are always evolving?
  • How will we know when we have a beta platform? What will be in it, and when?
  • In giving structure to beta, will create a spreadsheet for the WGs to describe what beta will likely include for each sector; describe time constraints on achieving what beta could be; what we want in it and when we think we’ll have it
  • Example non-road: want an improved version of non-road with growth factors but it may not be possible to get these growth factors in by July
  • Collaborative is a unique effort: have a product in mind and an idea for the date, but no hard deadline on producing the platform
  • Building block approach: people can compile sector versions into a platform on any time frame
  • Suggestion that we just pick a date and say that everything available at that time is in; need to have a platform that can be comparable between modeling groups
  • Need to look at schedule for prospective deliverables from the WG leads before deciding on this beta freeze date
  • Action: Alison puts together spreadsheet
  • Action: WG leads fill in what they want in the beta platform and when they think it will be ready
  • Concern about the projections and getting these into beta
  • Need a centralized table/schedule for data review
  • Will be some sectors where there are choices for modelers., e.g. biogenic: MEGAN and BEIS, EGU: EPA engineering and ERTAC; modeling workgroup will discuss issues related to compiling a modeling platform where there are multiple choices for certain sectors
  • Documentation needs to go out with beta versions of the data; specification sheets are proposed to help: how it was built, data sources, how it is done; comparisons between different versions
  • Projections: which data set to use for the comparison: EL for 2028, and EN for 2023; include state totals in documentation

Challenges (All)

  • On-The-Books rules are being rescinded and/or reworked - how to handle these changes when building inventory projections?
  • Stick with the on-the-books and only make changes when a rule is finalized
  • Need to tease out rules that may be on the chopping block and make it easy to take these rules out, if needed
  • Control packets could be made by rule, but it complicates the modeling effort

Action Items

  • Strawman on modeling workgroup
  • Post notes and, if possible, recording of webinar
  • Zac and Alison to follow up on unanswered questions
  • Alison to post updates to distributions on FTP and Drive to include 2016 point sources
  • Alison to post Google Drive spreadsheet to prepare beta

Next call: May 9, 2018

March 13, 2018

Note alternative date for March meeting

Attendees Zac, Alison, Serpil, Doug, Mark, Jeff, Julie, Tom, Mary, John, Sarah, Chris, Joe, Caroline


  1. Review plan for national outreach call on 3/15 (Zac, Alison)
  2. 14-15-16 Platform Update (Alison)
  3. Discussion of challenges by workgroup leads
  4. Registration from May Training in RTP from Sally Dombrowski


National outreach call review

  • workgroup leads to prepare a few slides
  • Keep workgroup presentations to 7 minutes so all groups have time to report out; see Alison notes on what to include in the presentations:
    • Intro to workgroup – co-leads, List of members
    • Structure of workgroup (if any sub-groups)
    • Information on level of participation
    • Planned methods and work focus areas
    • Likely contents of beta inventory
    • Data that might become available for comment and schedule for this
    • High-level plans for projections (more about this next time)
  • Discussion on need to introduce the point source inventory development approach; Alison will create a slide on the general point source release to add into the intro slides
  • Need to include a wrap up slide that broadcasts where to find notes and when the next meeting will be (June 20 @ 1:00 EDT)
  • Plan for handling of questions
    • We will direct attendees to ask questions through the webinar client; Alison and Zac will facilitate the discussion, and if time will pose a couple of questions while on the call; all questions will be addressed after the call on the wiki
    • Julie will put together a slide that describes how to ask questions through the webinar client
  • Discussion on when/who will do the 2016 air quality modeling for evaluating the 2016 inventory products, and sensitivities
    • LADCO will do 2016 runs, but no solid scope yet
    • Need to develop a wishlist of possible sensitivities: biogenic (MEGAN vs BEIS), with/without fires, projection approaches, source apportionment...
    • What is the best forum for this discussion? InterRPO data share group? probably need an emissions modeling workgroup to discuss issues with processing the 2016 data

14-15-16 Platform Update (Alison)

  • Alison is working on the platform component table
  • EPA is working with UNC to post a full archive of each platform to a Google Drive for distribution; in addition to scripts, will include sample SMOKE outputs for testing

Challenges (all)

  • Jeff: participation is good in the biogenics workgroup; two groups: one that follows and adds a little here and there and another small group that is doing most of the work; co-leads working to make sure that everyone has current data and information in front of them to drive the process forward; don't know what the dynamics of the fire and oil and gas workgroups will be yet
  • Julie: trying to head off people who are getting ahead of the process and catastrophizing about the schedule; co-leads have had to circle people back to the leadership to address some "alarmist" requests about involvement in the group
  • Tom: some sectors have relied heavily on contractor support (oil/gas, fires) in previous inventory efforts and it's not clear what the path forward will be without this support; Jeff has worked to secure possible support from USFS to work on the fire inventory; possibly some resources to contract ERG to help with oil/gas
  • Caroline: also dealing with varying levels of engagement; a lot of suggestions that the methods be changed but no input on how they should be changed; challenge to get people to move beyond criticism and into more substantial contributions to the process; looking for ideas
  • Mark: make more of an effort to accommodate the people who are doing the real work
  • Caroline: is there still interest in forming an aircraft subgroup within non-EGU point? there was originally discussion about this group, but now questioning whether there is enough momentum to support it; EPA and MARAMA are doing some work in this area
  • Joe: nonroad group is sorting out what states and MJOs have done in this area that can help the process; set up an approach to review two subsectors each call, seems like a good approach

MOVES2014b Release

  • EPA planning a release of MOVES2014b in the summer that will include updates to nonroad database: emissions factors, projection information, engine populations

Action Items

  • All: upload final slides for outreach call by Wednesday 3/14 5:00 EDT
  • Alison: add a slide on the 2016 point source inventory to front-matter
  • Alison: add a wrap up slide describing where to find notes, answers to questions, and date/time of next call
  • Julie: create a slide describing how to ask questions in the webinar client
  • Zac: collate slides into a single deck and post to wiki Thursday morning
  • Zac: research ideas to create more engagement in the workgroups: how do you move beyond criticism into contributions
  • Zac/Alison: create a strawman approach for a modeling workgroup to address technical issues with emissions modeling, and air quality modeling to evaluate the data

February 14, 2018

Attendees Zac, Alison, Caroline, Jeff, Chris, Doug, Jeff V, Sarah, Tom, Serpil, Mark, Susan (MARAMA), Mary, Michael, Julie


  1. Review January Action Items
  2. Check in on meetings to-date (Zac on general; Alison on international)
  3. Remind co-chairs of their charges: starting with alpha, and facilitating development/innovation toward a beta version (Zac)
  4. Update from EPA on NEI14v2 and planned 2016 inventory/platform releases (Alison)
  5. Discuss/brainstorm challenges being faced by workgroups (Alison)
  6. Outside involvement in the collaborative: who else can be involved and to what extent (Zac)
  7. Upcoming meetings: (Alison & Zac)


Review January Action Items

  • Workgroup Leads: Schedule meetings and send meeting times to Zac for inclusion on the Collaborative Calendar
    • Status: Done, except for oil&gas, fires, Canada&Mexico
  • Workgroup Leads: Draft charge and document work on the workgroup Wikis
    • Status: Ongoing. Most WIKIs have been updated.
  • Zac: Update Google calendar with workgroup meetings
    • Status: Done for the groups who sent information: EGU, non-EGU point, rail, marine, onroad, nonpoint, biogenic, nonroad; still need oil&gas, fires, Canada&Mexico
  • Zac: Add template (following this doc) to each workgroup wiki page
    • Status: Done
  • Zac: Circulate email with Collaborative workplan outstanding elements
    • Status: Pending
  • Zac/Alison: look at the EPA modeling platform table from Tom/Pat D. and draft something similar for the Collaborative: a table that can be used to track the different versions of the workgroup products
    • Status: Pending - best to do after alpha version is available
  • For Future consideration: Success metrics.

Check in on meetings to-date

  • Most workgroups have met. First fire workgroup meeting is scheduled for March 1. Oil and gas plans to have a meeting in early March. A roadmap is being developed for the WRAP effort. An outline will be developed regarding how to leverage that effort for the 2016 collaborative and with ideas for building 2016. International group had a discussion via email. This group may benefit from EPA regional staff involvement. Alison will probably schedule a call after new Mexico data are available to review that and other issues.

Remind co-chairs of their charges: starting with alpha, and facilitating development/innovation toward a beta version

  • Zac described parallel efforts in the workgroups: 1) production of usable products for alpha, beta, v1; and 2) development/discussion of longer-term improvements and innovations to be used for later versions of 2016 and 2017 inventories. The goal is to leverage a larger group of people involved in this effort to develop new methods and data. It could be difficult to balance the two efforts, so workgroups will need to prioritize. The first step is to evaluate the existing 2014NEIv2 and 2016 alpha data. The workgroups will then need to figure out what is doable for the beta and v1 versions, given the size and level of engagement of the workgroups, and work towards accomplishing those steps.

  • Tom brought up that it will be important to clarify the components of the alpha platform: which are from 2014 versus 2016. He suggested something similar to what Pat Dolwick had provided would be helpful. Additional documentation will be important including documentation on emissions factors, spatial allocation, temporal allocation, speciation, and plume rise.

  • Zac agreed that some level of documentation for the inventories and that the beta version should have more data for 2016. Documentation would need to specify which sectors don't have actual 2016 data.

  • Tom wanted clarification on why we have an alpha version and who is going to use it.

  • Mark described that it often takes a while to get the desired model performance, so the alpha version will allow LADCO and others to get started modeling their regions so that issues with meteorology and other aspects of the platform can be addressed. The beta version is a step along the way to the final version and it gives us an opportunity to have a first set of projections. Zac agreed that the alpha is to shake out modeling with the new year, not for planning purposes and that beta would be an improvement.

Update from EPA on NEI14v2 and planned 2016 inventory/platform releases

  • See NEI2014v1 Pie Charts Courtesy LADCO. Note that 2014NEIv2 should be live on the NEI website by President's Day.

  • EPA is planning a coordinated release of 2014, 2015, and 2016 alpha that will include the rest of the input data needed for emissions modeling and scripts by late February or early March. EPA will not have fully processed AQM-ready emission inputs or AQM outputs for these cases, but others can prepare their own. The scripts will be tested prior to release and some sample outputs for selected days can be provided. These distributions will include MOVES emissions factors, SMOKE-processed onroad mobile emissions, and biogenic emissions for each year.

  • For 2014, only NATA/HAPs simulation/scripts will be available from EPA

  • For 2016, EPA will provide year-specific data for onroad mobile, nonroad mobile, fires, biogenics, oil and gas, and point; the nonpoint sectors will mostly be for 2014

  • Collaborative may be forum for creating a unified set of SMOKE scripts to use for processing the different modeling years

  • Comments were made that the platform table would be helpful to clarify what is in this release.

Discuss/brainstorm challenges being faced by workgroups

  • We didn't have time to get to this item, but we encourage WG leads to email Zac and Alison with any challenges they may be having.

Outside involvement in the collaborative: who else can be involved and to what extent

  • University researchers expressed interest in being involved. We believe that the workgroups would become unwieldy with external parties that could have different agendas. The workgroups should primarily consist of State/local/tribal/regional organizations, but each workgroup has latitude to consider what makes sense for their group. For example the rail workgroup has included rail organizations from its inception, and workgroups may want to have invited speeches from researchers or contractors.

Upcoming meetings

  • Fed/State Collaborative: Thursday 2/22 @ 11 Eastern (see attached draft presentation on emissions). Mary pointed out that we should be sure to include some background as some on this call may not be very familiar with the origin of the effort. Alison provided a draft presentation - please send comments if you have them.

  • Next month’s broader meeting: need to determine mechanism and call-in – hold as a webinar? It seems that we may want to schedule this on a separate day/time/mechanism from the regular call. Perhaps as a webinar in late March. Details to be worked out.

Action Items

January 17, 2018 Update

Reach out to your Workgroup Members

Action requested:

  • Please send an introductory message to those who have volunteered for your workgroups. Let them know where to find your workgroup page on the Collaborative WIKI and also point them to the top level collaborative WIKI page.
  • Please update your WIKI page to include your workgroup charge and your workgroup member names, but not emails (to help prevent SPAM).
  • Internally, you will also need to maintain lists of the workgroup emails so you can send your notices and meeting notes. You should start with the names on the spreadsheet Julie sent November 30. Since then, a few other messages were received and forwarded to co-leads.
  • If you update your list on the Wiki, we’ll all be able to see and cross-check that all of the members who want to participate have been added to the groups.
  • If you are piggy-backing your meetings with other existing workgroups, please be sure you explain that to your new members and you get them added to the existing workgroup invitee lists.

January 10, 2018

Attendees Alison, Doug, Joe, Mark, Serpil, Tammy, Chris, Tom, Jeff, Julie, Caroline, John, Jim, Mary, Michael, Dave, Jennifer, Sarah


  • Review action items from December
  • EPA plans for 2014-2016 platform availability (alpha version)
  • Workgroup check ins (limit to 5 min per workgroup)
    • Have you scheduled your first call?
    • What have you worked on since the last call?
    • What's your plan for the next month?
    • Do you need help from the coordinating committee?
  • Logistics check in
    • Any issues with accessing the Collaborative work spaces?
    • Comments or suggestions for improving/augmenting the current systems?
  • Specification sheets reminder
  • Outstanding Development Plan Items
    • Approval and Sign Off - how do we determine when the products from a workgroup or ready to hand off? Who approves these and what should the approval process be? Is there an official "sign off" on the modeling products produced from the workgroups? Does sign off assign some level of responsibility to the approver?
    • Success Metrics - How do we measure workgroup success? Are there milestones and required products? Are these consistent across workgroups?
    • Accuracy, Utility, and Value Weighting - What do these mean?
    • Review and distribution of specification sheets to others outside of the collaborative - at what point do we distribute the spec sheets? after the alpha versions of the inventories? just before/after the beta versions?
    • Sharing information outside of the Collaborative under “Representative Review and Comment”:

Each workgroup will provide documentation of work products for ongoing review and assessment by states and tribes across the country, and accept and record all comments received on each work product. Further, a more complete process for sharing information about the 2016 EMP with others outside the collaborative and receiving input from outside stakeholders will be defined by the coordination committee. For example, sector specification sheets and documentation from workgroups could be posted for review and comment by stakeholders outside of the 2016 EMP Collaborative for the 2016 alpha, beta, version 1.0, and v1 projections.

  • Other items


  • December Action Items
    • Zac: Give permissions to all workgroup leads on G-Suite and wiki
      • Status: DONE
    • Zac: Create a Collaborative Google Calendar with the workgroup meeting times;
    • Alison: Update Collaborative Coordination WG calendar invite with a link to this wiki page
      • Status: DONE
    • Alison: develop lists of EPA members on workgroups
      • Status: Emailed to WG co-leads 1/17/18
    • Alison and Jeff: prepare available 2016 and 2014 data to share with workgroups
      • Status: In Progress.
      • See updates reported in the next agenda item
    • Zac: propose dates in 2018, starting in March, for the quarterly national webinars
      • Status: Done.
      • Regular scheduled Coordination Committee calls (2nd Wed @ 2:00 Eastern), extended to 1.5 hours: March 14, June 13, Sept 12, Dec 12
      • Will need a better mechanism for call to accommodate more people and to present slides; LADCO webinar is a possible solution
    • Workgroup Leads: Schedule meetings and send meeting times to Zac for inclusion on the Collaborative Calendar
      • Status: In progress
      • See workgroup check ins below
    • Workgroup Leads: Draft charge and document work on the workgroup Wiki
      • Status: In progress
      • See workgroup check ins below

  • EPA plans for 2014-2016 platform availability (alpha version)
    • This work will be the starting point for the Collaborative workgroups
    • EPA will be looking for reviews from workgroups on the data provided for each sector
    • EPA will distribute inventory files for 2014, 2015, and 2016, ancillary data, and SMOKE scripts in a format similar to emissions modeling platforms; onroad will also include summaries by SCC
    • Target date: Feb 2018
    • What data will actually represent 2016?
      • onroad, nonroad, biogenic, fires, CEMs, everything else will be 2014v2
      • 2016 point, including non-EGU point from the states, will be available in March 2018
    • WRAP requested a summary of modeling files from EPA; see this summary table as a reference product for this effort
    • 2016 meteorology data is on the way to LADCO; LADCO can redistribute to interested RPOs

Workgroup Status Updates

  • Biogenic:
    • Status: first call scheduled Jan 23 @2-3 EST, agenda will be forthcoming; 7-8 confirmed members; draft charge document is being worked on; BEIS3 run for 2016 is done; TCEQ is working with MEGANv3 and will use the 2016 EPA met
    • Will BEIS and MEGAN be compared to obs? Leads will need to charge the workgroup to figure out how much effort will be put into the analysis
    • The Collaborative may end up with multiple biogenic datasets (at least two), that states/regions can decide how/what to use
  • Fires:
    • Status: no call yet, members have been identified; charge document is being worked on; 2016 draft fire inventory for WF and Rx is available at EPA with tech memo summarizing the data
  • EGU:
    • Status: call is scheduled 4th Tuesday at 2 pm using an existing EGU committee; also working with ERTAC EGU committee to get a 2016 base case, projections, and different control cases; base 2016 ERTAC EGU run will be done in January 2018, projections will be done in the next month or two; once the NEI point sources files are done, workgroup will work on the cross-walk between ERTAC EGU and the NEI
    • Will there be a technical support document that describes the process/synthesis of the cross-walk? Yes
  • Oil & Gas:
    • Status: members have been identified (it's a big group); this workgroup will be coordinated through the national oil and gas committee but separate calls will be scheduled; charge document is being worked on, although there is a need to get the workgroup together to start to scope out the work for this group
  • Onroad:
    • Status: this workgroup will be run as part of the MOVES MJO call: 3rd Thursday @ 2:00 Eastern; 2016 emissions factors are available that are compatible with NEI2014v2, need to figure out what to do for activity (VMT); trying to figure out how to project/estimate 2016 activity based on the NEI2014v2; will discuss on the MOVES MJO call and in this workgroup; want to get an alpha run done soon to enable analysis of the data
  • Nonroad:
    • Status: no call yet; will be looking into adjustments for non-road sources; updates next month
  • NonEGU-Point:
    • Status: new co-chair with Tammy Manning, first call hasn't been scheduled yet; working on charge document
  • Nonpoint:
    • Status: first call January 19 at 1:00 Eastern; working on the charge document; much of it has been done from the example, working on the final parts; looked at the NEI2014 TSD to get an idea of what items should be prioritized as part of the "other nonpoint" category
  • Rail:
    • Status: call last Thursday; working on both 2016 and 2017; committee subgroups: line-haul, C3, and yards; expecting a final inventory for 2016 and draft 2017 this summer, final 2017 in early 2019; 48 members in the workgroup
  • Marine:
    • Status: first call yesterday, next call January 25; 13 workgroup members; looking to get national AIS data from DOT; talking about methodology now, need to figure out how to use the 500 Gb database for creating AQM emissions; plan is to create county inventories for near and in-shore, linkproc files for offshore
    • What's the geographic coverage of the workgroup? Alaska to the east US, but nobody from CARB; Tom will connect Mark with a CARB contact
    • Will you create low-resolution (gridded vs. link-based) data for larger modeling grids: No, the plan is to use link-based data for all domains
  • Mexico/Canada:
    • Status: no call yet; work group has members, no new information on inventories/projections
  • Meteorology:
    • Status: 2016 data are being circulated now, going to LADCO on drives; LADCO can redistribute as needed

Logistics/Check In

Be careful accessing the Collaborative G-Suite if you have multiple Google logins. Can get crossed-up and lose permissions. Watch what account you're logged in with.

Specification sheets reminder

Use the spec sheets for documentation templates...both for format and for the level of detail/content needed for documenting the efforts of each workgroup.

Outstanding Development Plan Items

Zac to send an email out asking for comments on Collaborative work plan elements that have not yet been fully resolved.

Action Items

  • Workgroup Leads: Schedule meetings and send meeting times to Zac for inclusion on the Collaborative Calendar
  • Workgroup Leads: Draft charge and document work on the workgroup Wiki
  • Zac: Update Google calendar with workgroup meetings
  • Zac: Add template (following this doc) to each workgroup wiki page
  • Zac: Circulate email with Collaborative workplan outstanding elements
  • Zac/Alison: look at the EPA modeling platform table from Tom/Pat D. and draft something similar for the Collaborative: a table that can be used to track the different versions of the workgroup products

Next Call: February 14, 2018

December 13, 2017


Zac, Alison, Julie, Michael, Caroline, John, Sarah, Jeff, Chris, Jim, Mark, Jennifer, Tom


  • Review Collaborative Google Drive
  • Review Collaborative Wiki
  • Coordination Workgroup role: process and planning, logistics, facilitation
  • Status update from each workgroup, including which workgroups still need leads. List of co-leads
  • Review the general charge for each workgroup; from the top level GDrive (first bullet above) under Oversight see Nonpoint Workgroup Charge and EGU Workgroup Charge examples
  • Documentation: Specification Sheets for documentation; see Specification Sheet Template under the Oversight folder
  • EPA update on 2014v2 release
  • Other items


  • Presentation on the Collaborative G-Suite and Wiki - described that G-Drive will be used to store data files, inventories, and to share documents while Wiki will be used for meeting notes and status information
  • G-Drive has directories for each workgroup - each directory should be updated to include a workgroup charge (start with examples in the Coordination folder and items in the 2016 plan), and a specification sheet
  • Specification sheets are key for transparency and documentation - try to update as progress is made
  • Concerns about access and permissions discussed: VA and CA known to not have access to G-Suite, likely others; workgroup leads will need to figure out work arounds
  • Bear with the coordination leads as we work through the initial permissions and access issues to the resources laid out for this process
  • The process and resources are suggestions, not prescriptive
  • Need MJO/state co-leads for non-EGU point and non-road
  • EPA will likely just lead the Mexico/Canada group
  • Alison gathering 2016 data that they already have in-hand for the workgroups. Currently have on-road, non-road, fires, biogenics for 2016; most of the non-point sectors they have are for 2014
  • Make sure to distinguish between the 2016 and 2014 data; 2014 will be labeled 2014v2

EPA 2014v2 status

  • onroad, nonroad, point fires (wild, rx), point are ready; nonpoint is still being worked on, hopefully ready in January
  • Is there a reference or resource for EPA 2016 global modeling for ICBC data? EPA can share the input data and status of this effort. Would like to see a presentation (webinar) on the hemispheric modeling, when available (several months away)

Workgroup Status Updates

  • Biogenic: MEGANv3 for 2016, waiting for met data; kickoff meeting in Jan, will share BEIS3 inputs/outputs; charge in draft form posted before Christmas; will look at BEIS vs MEGAN comparisons to see if BEIS needs upgrades; 2016 BEIS will be provided; analysis and timelines will be worked out by workgroup; need support for nested grids [for all sectors not just biogenic]
  • Fires: draft 2016 fire inventory, plan for EPA is draft a technical memo describing how it was created, will provide data and workgroup can do analysis, workgroup in place; challenge is how to think about fires and projections; charge document is drafty
  • EGU: Process in building 2016 ERTAC EGU, expecting to have something for states to look at in January, projections will stretch out to April; will prepare growth factors based on AEO 2018 once available; EPA working on new projection platform, consulting with ERTAC group on new platform; states will submit point inventory by 2nd week of January, will be put out for review in March and work on how to split inventory to meet MJO and EPA needs
  • Oil & Gas: long list of members, Tom will work on the charge document, will get a call going the first of the year; WRAP has some contractor support for this sector with a road map of what needs to be done, Tom will share with the national group
  • Onroad: no meeting yet, but Alison will provide an overview of what's available in 2014v2 on the upcoming MOVES workgroup (12/21/17); 2016/2014v2 will be used as the starting point; presentation will be available from MOVES working group
  • NonEGU-Point: have list of members, EPA trying to find the co-lead
  • Nonroad: focusing on recruiting the co-lead and working on the charge; larger effort will be to have the inventory incorporate the updates to the model in the forthcoming MOVES release: growth rates, and Tier 4 emissions factors
  • Nonpoint: Jennifer Synder will be helping, tasks are pretty well laid out but have a lot of other categories that will need to be addressed; getting some help from different groups (e.g. RWC is being worked on by Rich Mason)
  • Rail: will update yard methodology, new data for commuter rail; tomorrow is the 2nd call for this workgroup, looking at methodologies and starting in January will put together the plan
  • Marine: no call yet, maybe next week to walk through the different way of using AIS data and plan for how the 2016/17 inventory will be built using AIS data (EPA will get these data); OTAQ is already involved in building a tool similar to SMOKE, will be working in parallel with them
  • Will skip Mexico/Canada/Meteorology today

  • Schedule approximately quarterly national webinars to report out on the progress of this collaborative; targeting March 2018 for the first call
  • Get list of the workgroup meeting times and publish somewhere: e.g., Google Calendar for collaborative?

Action Items

  • Zac: Give permissions to all workgroup leads on G-Suite and wiki
    • Done
  • Zac: Create a Collaborative Google Calendar with the workgroup meeting times;
  • Alison: Update Collaborative Coordination WG calendar invite with a link to this wiki page
    • Done.
  • Alison: develop lists of EPA members on workgroups
  • Alison and Jeff: prepare available 2016 and 2014 data to share with workgroups
  • Zac: propose dates in 2018, starting in March, for the quarterly national webinars
  • Workgroup Leads: Schedule meetings and send meeting times to Zac for inclusion on the Collaborative Calendar
  • Workgroup Leads: Draft charge and document work on the workgroup Wiki

Next Call: January 10, 2018