Not logged in - Login
< back


Collaborative Wiki Main Page

Inventory Collaborative Google Drive Link


Co-leads: Alison Eyth (EPA OAQPS), Zac Adelman (LADCO)

Mark Janssen (LADCO), Julie McDill (MARAMA), Mary Uhl (WESTAR), Tom Moore (WESTAR), Michael Vince (CENSARA), John Hornback (SESARM), Jim Boylan (GA DNR), Doug Boyer (TCEQ), Serpil Kayin (EPA), Jeff Vukovich (EPA), Jennifer Snyder (EPA), Caroline Farkas (EPA), Sarah Roberts (EPA), Tammy Manning (NCDENR), Dave Foerter (OTC), Eric Zalewsky (NY)

Coordination Committee Meetings

Held the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 2:00 p.m. Eastern. This wiki will be used to present the agenda before each call.

March 13, 2019


  1. Status of 2016 beta release
  2. Status of future year emissions inventories
  3. Modeling workgroup update
  4. Timing for v1 inventory: see
  5. Please review dates for your sectors
  6. Preparation for quarterly update planned for April 3

Attendees Zac, Alison, Caroline, Jeff, TBD


  • Beta release
    • Update from EPA: (Chet Wayland) Thanks for efforts on the Collaborative, apology on the delays, no control over shutdown, were looking to get things done sooner; status
      • Status and update on where EPA is with the beta platform,platform: it's been educational for EPA, concerns that even though it's collaborative,a collaborative effort, even though it's public, it has an EPA endorsement because they are part of the collaborative;
      • EPA wants to be clear that the beta is not for regulatory applications, wait for v1; for 2016 beta feel like it's a better quality,quality than the projections, no concerns about public release forof 2016; have concerns andabout internalrequests discussionsfor onthe 2023 and 2028 beta withfrom people outside of states,the willstates/MJOs; private sector runfine with these beta data and challenge state SIPs and EPA modeling; OK generally sharing 2023 and 2028 with states, leeryhesitant about putting beta out for public use, andwould wantlike some control over uses by groups outside of the states; delay was really on the projections not the base year;
      • Proposal: can we dorelease the 2023 and 2028 release internally to the states, receive comments byfrom states, and then put the public release with projections out for v1;v1?
      • needNeed to be clear that thisbeta shouldn't be used in a more formal way;regulatory applications; will also be talked to MJO leadershiptalking about this on Friday;the federal-state and MJO call this Friday
    • Responses (MARAMA) - agreeAgree with beta release; don't let v1 slip too far, timing is key;key
    • (LADCO) if theOnce beta datais getreleased, outhow do we keep it from being distributed outside of the states? Don't really have control over this, just need to communicate that they'rethese justare testevaluation data for looking for problems and evaluation;testing; discourage people from thinking this is a finished product;
    • (MARAMA) canCan we share?share don'tthese data with modeling contractors? EPA doesn't want to limit how states are using these data, just need to communicate to the contractors that these data are for testing, states need to be able to conduct their business; private
    • sector(EPA) Others outside of the Collaborative will likely get these data, just need to communicate the expected use; are people clear that we'll release the beta year projections to the collaborativeCollaborative only? Industry is being told by EPaEPA that the beta inventory is being used by states and EPA, will be available as version 1 later this summer; states/regions work with universities/contractors to not distribute these data;data
    • Need to craft a common response: it'sbeta an internal gov't deliverable, interim product;product Objections?and not available to share for public use
    • (TCEQ) areAre we limiting input by not including other people; the requests are coming from contractors? It's a fair point, hope is that we'll get feedback on the public product; how will we integrate comments on v1 if we don't want a v2? don'tDon't expect a lot of comments,comments on beta, will we get something significant enough to integrate into a second version? Need to figure what happens to the Collaborative post v1, will shelve that discussion for later, but need to know that it will be coming
  • willWill need to work out logistics of release the future year data when it's ready (how do we document and provide a limited release to states)
    • Releasebeta release will go out today if we all agree an EPA's proposal, and the release logistics
    • Documentation for 2016 is available; reviewed and more completedcomplete documentationthan isfirst availalble now,drafts; removed references to future year emissions, old documents are still avaialbleavailable and thisthe future year content will be added back in when the future year data are ready to release
    • 2016 emission data isare at the IWDW and a data download form is available; form is up and running on the IWDW
    • CMAS Center tool can track comments on the platform; is there a deadline for comments? start with end of May for closing comment period; need to allow enough time for summer release of v1.
    • Met data and IC/BCs will be transferred to IWDW soon; disk drives on the way to EPA from the IWDW for transferring the data to the IWDW; extracted met files are available on EPA ftp site under beta platform area;
    • Release approach: send announcement to MJOs and circulate list for the national call out

  • Future year inventory status
    • Ptegu (IPM), ptnonipm, nonpt, pt_oilgas, np_oilgas in progress
    • Keep hoping Canada will provide future year inventories - otherwise need to project from 2015 based on old projections; Canadians have been delayed at providing future year data, no idea on when these data become available; fallback plan is to project 2015 using rates of change from previous Canadian inventories
    • Hoping for 2016 inventory from Mexico by version 1; discussions on expected future year changes

  • Modeling workgroup update
    • workedWorked on beta documentation; will be working on processing the data and sharing our experience

  • Timing for v1
    • reviewReview Timing Worksheet ; some sectors coming together in April, most ready by June; workgroup co-chairs review and update dates;
    • thereThere will be an effort to pull the platform together: at this point, looking like July for the platform release if all the sectors are done by June
    • ERTAC EGU - June probably won't pose a problem
    • For comments by end of May, how will that impact timing;timing? timing estimates are based on what we currently know about;know; there is an unknown because we don't know what and how many comments will be received and when;received; not all comments will be able to be assimilated due to timing and nature of the comments
    • whenWhen v1 is released, how do we consider comments from people outside of the collaborative;Collaborative; need to think about how comments, post-v1 will be received; let's discuss on the next call, gets into issues onof tracking comments, and commitment from the collaborativeCollaborative moving forward
    • if we don't release anything until v1, then it will lead to a v2
    • willWill impact sectors differently, will likely get a lot of comments on point, how do we put these comments together; need to consider standard naming convention for versioning; try to get names in place to track inventory segments easily and consistently;howconsistently; how will the different inventory components get pieced together into platforms moving forward?
    • Release approach: send announcement to MJOs and circulate list for the national call out

  • Preparation for quarterlyQuarterly update April 3
    • Zac to send template; get back to Zac by Monday April 1
    • Summary of beta, release, and comments; describe beta projections abd release
    • introduction to v1
    • timing and discussion for v1; focus on what they're planning to do in v1
    • results of beta, show some pictures, plans for v1

  • How to release future year inventories? Google drive with limited accessaccess?
    • can use sftp at IWDW

February 06, 2019


  1. Status of beta emissions documentation
  2. Status of future year emissions inventories
  3. Modeling workgroup update
  4. Timing for v1 inventory
  5. Confirm quarterly update date of April 3

Attendees Zac, Alison, Susan, John H, Tammy, Caroline, Sarah, Jim, Mary, Jeff, Mark, Julie, Tom, Jennifer, Roger, Serpil, Michael, Jennifer


  • Documentation
    • Documentation is being worked on by co-chairs
    • It would be helpful to have a roadmap/spreadsheet to track the status of documentation, plots needed, what's missing to complete the documentation, include locations of where things are
    • Need to add space to Google Drive (LADCO)
    • ERTAC EGU: need to add information/documentation; how should we document other work, that's been outside of the collaborative but relevant (e.g., point temporalization work at EPA); yes, this needs to get into the Google Drive and documentation for the collaborative
    • Mark will create an area for the ERTAC EGU data (in the beta data repo)

  • Future year inventories: ptnonipm, pt_oilgas and np_oilgas still need to be wrapped up
    • EGU inventories are available, but modeling techniques need to be worked out

  • beta Release pros and cons
    • Do we release base data now and wait on future year?
    • Yes, get the base platform released; will release future data when they become available
    • Downsides, questions about future year
    • Upsides: model performance evaluation, get outside groups working on these data, release data before/if EPA shuts down
    • Upsides outweigh the downsides
    • When can the documentation be ready? EPA scheduled to shutdown 2/15. Target 2/14 for documentation draft and create tracking spreadsheet for progress; what is the minimum level of documentation that's needed, don't want to have a sector hold up the release
  • Let the workgroups know that the documentation work is happening
  • Zac to send specification sheets from WRAP WestJump for all sectors
  • Point people to documentation folder for draft beta inventory docs
  • Look at daa repo organization; include an entry in tracking spreadsheet where documentation is located

  • Modeling Workgroup update
    • Some summaries and input files posted on Drive
    • Full package of emissions inputs is available via scienceftp
    • Maps and charts have been generated
    • Use density maps and plots on the LADCO image viewer for documentation; create customized plots with CIRA tool
    • How much lead time will CIRA get for releasing the data? Prepare the release with what they have now, will include the documentation as it becomes available
    • Target release before the end of February

  • Timing for v1
    • Timing will be delayed due to shutdown
    • Move from March/April to May/June? EPA will regroup and try to estimate how the shutdown has impacted this platform release
    • Talk on the next coordination call on the impacts to each sector

  • Next quarterly update scheduled for April 3, 2019

January 11, 2019

Agenda Discuss the status and ongoing work of the Collaborative during the government shutdown.

Attendees Zac, Mark, Susan, Tom, Eric, Debbie, Doug, John, Jim, Michael, Rebecca


  • Do we suspend the collaborative completely while the gov't is shutdown?
    • Concerns in MARAMA about an EPA grant that finishes Jan 31, 2019 for supporting growth and controls; working with sector workgroups to gather/improve projection information; delays in the collaborative will impact their ability to complete their grant work
    • States are proceeding with their statutory obligations as if nothing was happening: permit applications are being submitted, NEI2017 submittals are being sent in, etc.
  • Are there functions that this collaborative can continue without EPA?
    • documentation work can be done; inventory development will likely need to wait for EPA participation
    • several co-leads agreed that work should continue to the extent possible
    • there is a need to distinguish between the work on the beta and v1 platforms
  • What have the workgroups been up to, and are they working without the EPA
    • Rail and marine do not have EPA co-leads anyway, they have been proceeding with work on the documentation
    • Fires and O&G decided to move forward with the documentation work
    • Biogenic workgroup is working on MEGAN, need EPA participation for BEIS documentation
    • Nonroad will proceed
    • Onroad and nonpoint need EPA to proceed
  • Plan is to move forward with completing the beta platform documentation, in lieu of the EPA participation; we will wait to see what happens before making a call on how to proceed with v1
    • workgroup co-leads will continue work on the beta documentation, working toward the January 31 deadline
    • modeling workgroup will provide summary plots to include in the sector workgroup specification sheets
    • when draft versions of the documents are ready, send to Zac for review/editing; Zac will recruit members of the coordination committee (other than sector WG co-leads) to help with review
  • There is general agreement that we do not want to release the beta platform without documentation; the EPA shutdown will delay the release

December 12, 2018

Next Call: January 9, 2018 @ 2:00 Eastern Next large group call: December 19 @ noon Eastern Proposed March large group call: Wednesday March 20 @ noon Eastern


  1. Status of beta emissions preparation
  2. Upload of beta summaries and inputs to Drive
  3. Timing for documentation for the beta inventories
  4. Timing for v1 inventory
  5. Preparation for large group call next week
  6. Follow up on 2020
  7. Issues / agenda items from coordination WG members
  8. Intermountain West Data Warehouse hosting of 2016 data and release to the community


  • Alison, Mark, Caroline, Serpil, Susan, Tom, Eric, Debbie, Jeff, Julie, Doug


Status of beta emissions

  • EPA is doing 2016 beta modeling, processing inventories now for CMAQ and CAMx modeling; using this process as a QA step, addressing issues as working to run through SMOKE
  • close to having all sectors processed, a few late changes (e.g., Canada dust, processing rail yards, and rail lines); will have processed emissions by next week;
  • Running SMOKE for the base year; don’t have plans to run for the future years now;
  • Updates for future years will come in through the holidays (e.g., rail, O&G, non point, IPM EGU), then build the future year platforms.

Upload of beta summaries and inputs to Drive

  • Working on summaries requested by modeling workgroup to compare 2011, 2014, and 2016 cases (state-SCC, counties, state totals)
  • Including profile reports (temporal, spatial, chemical);
  • RWC and non-road reports copied to G-Drive;
  • EPA will provide EMF platform scripts in early January;
  • EPA will look into exporting cases from EPA EMF system and point to scripts;
  • Zac to schedule modeling workgroup for early January;
  • EMF Case settings file needed for non-SMOKE shops; add to data repo;
  • GE_DAT data are in the Shared folder on the G-Drive data repo
  • Not done at this point: rail, pt_oilgas, np_oilgas, ptnonipm, ptegu, ERTAC is coming; need to develop a version of small EGUs to work with ERTAC

Timing for Documentation

  • Getting requests from people within Collaborative and from outside for beta
  • January 18 for draft spec sheets;
  • Zac could edit / review draft, but WG co-leads need to pull content together
    • See WestJumpAQMS for example spec sheets by sector; scroll down to Emissions Materials to view spec sheets
  • Modeling WG to work on analysis;
  • Target end of January for documentation

Timing for v1

Where will there be big changes from beta to V1?

  • Rail: some changes to the base, hopefully newer technology
  • Marine: different in both the base and future (AIS-based for 2017 draft in January)
  • Nonpoint: finishing up controls for beta; for V1 will get contractor support for open burning adjustments, goal is January/February impacting base and future years; other future year adjustments
  • Onroad: age distributions in January, need to allow time for representative county updates (1 month), settle down to have data ready in March; need a month or so to integrate new data + a month for MOVES run
  • Nonroad: aiming to get modeling in mid-February; mid-January for state-supplied data; probably not big changes between beta and V1
  • EGU: no changes to base year (unless review issue with beta); just looking at IPM now may not have changes; ERTAC EGU will change if there are new shutdowns or QA/QC issues with current data, no plans on new version; Western interconnect update project will have 2028 data available in March, will need work to introduce into Collaborative
  • nonEGU: changes to base with aircraft/airport; 2017 run is going new, will be used for 2016 base; this sector would change for the projections off of this base, could be done by spring
  • Oil & Gas: simplified projections for beta; looking to improve in V1, base year wouldn’t change much but projections will likely; planning on getting the projections
  • Biogenics: no changes planned
  • Fires: no changes? may have data that came in late to update in V1

Targeting April 2019 release

Preparation for large group call

  • Zac to send template tomorrow; get back by Tuesday;
  • Wed April 3 noon next call

Follow up on 2020

  • Last month had suggested a discussion with OTAQ on this
  • EPA looking to run MOVES (onroad) and NONROAD for 2020 by April 2019
    • EPA needs to get management approval for this work

Transfer of data to IWDW / release to the community

  • See Draft IWDW Support for Inventory Collaborative
  • IWDW to host the 2016 emissions files; outline for organization platform components; worked on building out the file system structure and adding data as they become available; will also host met and BCs, in addition to emissions, and air quality model output as it becomes available
    • software, met, emissions, bcs, and eventually model outputs
    • Decided to host all versions of the platform
    • will send a drive to transfer the met and processed emissions
    • will host SMOKE output files
    • provide the met data needed to create the processed emissions
  • EPA will make BC data available
    • MJOs respond to Norm about needs for ICBC data: what is the parent domain;
    • EPA can extract data as needed if we can come up with a common modeling domain;
    • EPA moving to Hemispheric CMAQ; EPA will provide presentation on the comparison between GC and HemiCMAQ; 36 US domain for downscaling to 12US2;
    • Will there be documentation on the BCs? There will be a manuscript;
    • MJOs need to coordinate on parent domain (horizontal and vertical structure);
    • IWDW is a warehouse, not planning on doing file manipulation; how much prior manipulation of the files will be done, need to tell IWDW what was done with the files before they are sent;

November 14, 2018

Next Call: December 12, 2018 @ 2:00 Eastern Next large group call: December 19 @ noon Eastern


  1. Documentation for the beta inventories
  2. Data repositories for beta files
  3. Inventory collaborative platform use cases and tracking
  4. Beta progress issues by sector leads, as needed
  5. Needs for 2020 mobile source data
  6. Modeling workgroup update
  7. Issues / agenda items from coordination WG members


  • Alison, Mark, Caroline, Serpil, Susan, Tom, Eric, Debbie, Jeff, Julie, Doug


Documentation for the beta inventories

  • Timeline: before the end of the year for documentation - lower priority than finishing data
    • EOY seems doable for biogenics, could be tough for oil and gas, other TBD
  • What is level of documentation desired? See the specification sheet example
  • Centralize the documents into a G Drive documentation folder while we are working on it - Alison added a documentation under the Data Repository for beta to put sharable versions of documentation
  • End up with a library of spec sheets and put together a leading chapter

Data repositories for beta files

  • Data repository: inputs to SMOKE and documentation can go on Drive area that Zac set up (outputs are too big)
  • IWDW can host outputs from SMOKE (Globus FTP is high volume / fast FTP)
  • Disks can be loaded [by Roger Aimes] if drives are provided to the IWDW
  • Mark would like to be able to receive one tar ball with EFs and SMOKE and inputs as had been provided for the previous platform
  • Mark would like to be able to get Drives straight from EPA when possible [about 2 TB], but if IWDW can provide in a timely fashion that is OK too
  • EPA could FTP some sector outputs as they are ready for putting into a structure that will be filled out over time
  • MJOs will pull together the folks that want to send drives
  • Action item: some volunteers to meet with Roger about how to draft a guidance document [Mark can help, others will review]
  • Group would plan to check it over on December call [include Jeff and Julie on this]
  • Could try out biogenic data as test case - FTP is simple for this

Inventory collaborative platform use cases and tracking

  • looked over the draft that Zac put together
  • Action: need to add inventory documentation link
  • No other comments just yet

Beta progress issues by sector leads, as needed

  • EGUs - assignment of peaking profiles to units without CEMS is being finalized; ERTAC cases are coming along [folding in some last minute closures]; IPM cases are being worked on / reviewed
    • Southeast regional haze analysis - looked at double counting / missing units - NC used an approach to look at things with GIS for units close to each other
    • will talk about this on next EGU WG call (would be a v1 issue)
  • Oil and gas data for last couple of states and also for projections being worked out
  • Rail yards and line haul still coming this week and can then be projected

Needs for 2020 mobile source data

  • Tom has asked western states - Colorado response will be sent
  • Julie will respond to the questions Alison sent
    • question about use of Advanced EV in the Northeast - may require a different approach using inventory MOVES
    • strategies will be important to look at for their purposes
  • mobile will be an important player in 2020
  • Action: schedule a discussion about some of the issues in December
    • OTAQ will need to participate in this discussion [e.g., to run MOVES on cloud]
  • need to get cloud tools out to MJOs/states

Modeling workgroup update (Eric)

  • Had first group meeting last month; Jeff and Mark were also there
  • Group agreed that initially they won't be recreating a new platform - work on analysis, improvement, documentation,
  • WIll strive to develop some additional reports for emissions modeling
  • Could look at ancillary data for improvements / updates
  • Prepare instructions to swap out a different domain or use difft inventories
  • Next meeting will be after Thanksgiving

October 10, 2018

Next Call: November 14, 2018 @ 2:00 Eastern


  1. Documentation for the beta inventories
  2. Data repositories for beta files
  3. Inventory collaborative platform use cases and tracking
  4. Beta progress issues by sector leads, as needed
  5. Modeling workgroup update
  6. Issues / agenda items from coordination WG members


  • Jeff, Susan, Rebecca, Julie, Michael, Mary, Mark, Caroline, Sarah, Zac, Serpil, Eric, Tom, Alison


Documentation for the beta inventories

  • Timeline: before the end of the year for documentation, but will come after the data
  • As important as the data
  • What is level of documentation desired? See the specification sheet example
  • End up with a library of spec sheets and put together a leading chapter
  • Centralize the documents into a G Drive documentation folder while we are working on it
  • When finished, convert to PDF and package with the data
  • Action Item: Zac to create a Google Drive for documentation; send link to workgroup co-leads
  • Tom: Need to create a layperson description of the inventory collaborative: FAQs and slides; need to track this collaborative component of an air quality modeling platform
    • Note we'll have a high-level presentation on collaborative for CMAS
  • Julie: suggest we hold inventory documentation static and then have another piece of documentation for the modeling
  • Modeling platform workgroup will have documentation coming later; need to include FAQs and pointers to the data; document the findings in the modeling workgroup, will be looking for feedback from outside users in a form similar to what the modeling WG provides
  • Should we have an online forum for discussion?
    • Alison: CMAS has been working on setting up user forums
    • Something like that would be helpful here, especially if it's searchable
  • Describe how to do the file transfers; need organization
  • Should there be a list of files and what is in them? [Appendix]
    • Perhaps name those tables, and have a tree that shows the options by sector

Data repositories for beta files

  • Add a table to the spec sheets that describes what’s included in each sector
  • Action Item: Zac to create a central Google Drive for beta inventories with subfolders by sector
  • Include dates in all file names for versioning
  • Stage data first on the G Drive and then figure out where to put these files later
  • Do we want beta to be released to public?
    • Zac thinks yes, but wait until the documentation is ready to make publicly available

Inventory collaborative platform use cases and tracking

  • How to track the data and assimilate and fix problems/issues found during use of the data
  • Who is using the files? Get descriptions of their use case, timing, and contact, issues they’ve found;
  • Tracking info could be added to the wiki in a new page; prototype with EPA use case
  • Action Item: Zac to create collaborative uses wiki, with initial entry for EPA 2016 modeling
  • Use of the alpha: Tom surprised by EPA regional haze road map because it says EPA will produce nat’l regional haze modeling results at the same time as states doing their own analysis; need to be sensitivity to the fact that multiple results could be problematic; there are potential problems with a 50 state RH planning platform
  • Need to be sensitive about how we describe the use cases
  • Describe where the modeling platform workgroup fits in with the use cases
  • Challenge with different projections across the country is that the future modeling will likely produce different amounts of progress; if EPA presents a national case, it will be the individual states that have to explain what EPA modeling is saying, because the numbers will be different from the regional estimates

Beta progress issues by sector leads, as needed

  • Marine doesn’t have an EPA co-chair
  • EPA is building a 2017 inventory independent of the collaborative, no input from states in this process; contracting to build category 1 & 2, cat 3 is being done in-house by OTAQ
  • Fighting in the collaborative marine committee to get information from EPA, looking to get data that costs money to obtain; EPA is buying these data but not sharing with the collaborative;
  • EPA has obligation for 2017 NEI and it’s independent of this collaborative;
  • There has been passing back and forth between OTAQ and the collaborative; there hasn’t been radio silence from EPA
  • Collaborative getting code from OTAQ for C3, but won’t get the data to drive the code; problems are activity data through AIS, but need to be matched to ship parameters, and these parameters are proprietary data purchases; need to deidentify the data somehow
  • What happens if you need proprietary (commercial data)? Oil and gas purchased the commercial data for other reporting aspects, feeds into the Oil & gas tool. The O&G tool de-identifies the proprietary information
  • Need to engage EPA to work on the marine workgroup; does the marine effort involve regions for the 2017 emissions effort; can we get an EPA regional office lead?
  • Can Sarah explore if there is a middle ground to provide something of value to this workgroup
  • Similar issues with O&G database, contractors were hired by EPA despite recommendations otherwise; looking to be more closely engaged with EPA; long effort to collaborate between EPA and regions/states; benefits for both sides, not just EPA giving

Modeling workgroup update Issues / agenda items from coordination WG members

Transition to v1

  • When will this effort end? Some sectors have small changes beta to v1, others will have large changes; others will have changes to projections
  • Beta documentation will be starting point for v1 documentation
  • Some data will transfer over from beta easily; other sectors are harder

September 12, 2018

Next Call: October 10, 2018 @ 2:00 Eastern


Alison, Sarah, Jeff, Mark J, Tammy, Mary, Caroline, Husain, Tom, Zac, Julie, Debbie, Jim, Rebecca, Gail, Dave, Susan and Debbie (MARAMA)


  1. Review action items from previous meeting
  2. Beta progress highlights by sector leads
  3. Modeling workgroup update - co-leads and group initiation
  4. October 31 target for completed inventories
  5. Quarterly Report Out Call: September 20
  6. Beta documentation
  7. Projection planning and discussion: update on MARAMA's projection tool and collaboration on this
  8. Issues / agenda items from coordination WG members [All]
  9. Date for next quarterly call


Review action items from previous meeting

  • No action items from last meeting

Beta progress highlights by sector leads

  • Onroad: activity data for 2016 finalized and SMOKE-MOVES has been run. Will provide data to workgroup next week. Draft national projection factors by vehicle and fuel based on AEO2018 have been developed and will be presented to the workgroup next week. Once activity projection method is finalized, SMOKE-MOVES runs can proceed. On track to finish before 10/31. ERG is running MOVES on the AWS cloud. No MOVES CDB updates made for beta, but v1 will include CRC A-115 updates.

  • Nonroad: have performed a test run of MOVES2014b for 4 counties and 3 years (2016, 2023, 2028). Reviewing results now and getting ready for national runs. Beta version will be default run of new model and is on track for 10/31. Following review of beta data, v1 will include state updates and improved allocations to counties.

  • CMV: Beta will be a projection of 2014NEIv2 to '16, '23, '28 and that could be available by 10/31. Will discuss with workgroup next week. For v1.0, WG found a public source of AIS data that should be usable as input to the new method. EPA OTAQ released calculation method for ships to LADCO and CA.

  • Rail: the WG will make the 10/31 date and has incorporated new data from rail companies and passenger rail as well. Projections should be available; flat growth rates. Challenged by assumptions about future engine technologies.

  • EGU: cross reference for the base and future year splitting of EGUs from non-EGUs is nearly done and will support completion of emissions by 10/31. WG is working on temporal allocation approaches for sources without CEMS. ERTAC projection to 2023 should be available around 10/31 with 2028 to follow. EPA working on projections to 2023/2028 using new version of IPM but unsure of completion date. The IPM data includes information on plant closures/fuel switches/changes through at least 2016

  • Non-EGU point: Base year will be split from EGUs and available by 10/31. Working on future year projections: consent decrees, control and projection packets. Consent decree information sent to states for comment, seeking comments on decrees and emissions caps; waiting for aircraft modeling results, will include projections for these sources in V1.

  • Oil and gas: EPA to run oil and gas tool for 2016. Projections subgroup working on growth part of projections. WV, TX, and OH to provide data for beta - others may add for v1.0. Should have base year by 10/31 but projections may be a little delayed. Some states may want to pull data forward from 2014.

  • Nonpoint: WG has determined which subsectors will be pulled forward vs projected and is reviewing data for combustion sources. New population data from ICLUS will be available to use to project sectors that use population as a surrogate.

  • Biogenic: MEGAN and BEIS versions are available. May redo the BEIS runs with updated landuse data. Would like to compare to field data, where possible (looking at SENEX data for summer 2013). AQM runs are desired for this sector.

  • Fires: Received data from 8 states and new national data sets are available. Waiting on a dataset from USFS. Beta should be available by 10/31 and is approaching NEI quality. Split into wild, prescribed, and ag like NEI - pile burns are in nonpoint. Don't have good coverage for prescribed fire smoke management burns. No plans for future year alternatives for beta, but maybe for v1.0.

  • HAPs: Are we including these? They will be included to a point (where it is straightfoward), but not with the same level of QA as CAPs. Zac thinks having having HAPs in v1 would be helpful as we don't know all uses of the modeling for now.

Modeling workgroup update

  • Hussein from MD will be a co-lead.
  • EPA is working on identifying a co-lead.
  • In the meantime, Zac will help get the WG up and running and identify members.
  • The WG will process inventories through SMOKE and will be the first testers of the data and will help review the data.
  • The result of the WG will be an emissions modeling platform with AQM-ready inputs.
  • EPA will create a version of the platform with the configuration they plan to use
  • This WG will allow for other configurations to be developed and facilitate other modeling centers will be able to do their own modeling
  • Mark points out that the marine and rail WGs will need to interface with this WG, as there will be a couple options for configuring these sectors
  • Tom requested that sector leads be included in the kickoff call

October 31 target for completed inventories

  • Base year inventories should be available for all sectors
  • Future year inventories may lag for a couple sectors
  • Working towards a freeze point for the data products
  • The products will be SMOKE input files (most are FF10), not AQM-ready files
  • Would be helpful to create a record/track of where the alpha, beta, v1 platforms are being used
  • ActionAction: Zac to create a spreadsheet for tracking use of the platforms)
  • If FF10 files are ready before Oct 31, please share via Google Drive, with the group

September 20 Quarterly report out call

  • We will keep the date of the call as-is, but if additional outreach needed for hurricane-affected states, that will be arranged
  • The reminder will be sent a week before and will include the link to Wiki page
  • Slide deck template is available - try to include some graphics for interest
  • Get all slides to Zac by noon September 19

Beta documentation and data release

  • Tom asked about compiling a list of applications for the beta by EPA and others - perhaps to discuss on next quarterly call
  • We want to try to standardize the documentation with the specification sheet
  • Want to document what was produced and where can people find it?
  • Show how data came together, where they came from, analyses, summaries
  • Try to leverage human resources on WG to develop docn
  • Action: Revisit the previously provided template prior to the next call - there was one created for ag NH3 emissions months ago

Projection planning and discussion: update on MARAMA's projection tool and Collaboration

  • MARAMA hosted webinars to educate others on their tool and also had conversations with leadership group on this
  • Used EPA approach in some cases and new ideas in others
  • It won't be possible to use the tool for beta - target is v1
  • Will be able to apply methods used to develop 2023 and 2028 for beta and extend to other years
  • EPA is focused on developing default approaches and can help extend to other years once 2023 and 2028 for beta are done
  • If regions outside of MARAMA want to outreach to their states on various options, they would need to take the lead
  • Zac will get back to Julie about his region and other regional leaders are responsible for theirs

Other Issues

  • None raised

Date for next quarterly call: Wednesday December 19 at noon

August 8, 2018

Next Call: September 12, 2018 @ 2:00 Eastern Attendees

Tammy, Husein, Jennifer, Caroline, Zac, Mark, Sarah, Susan M, Mary, Tom, Rebecca, Serpil, Doug, Michael, Jeff, Julie, John


  1. Review action items from previous meeting
  2. Beta progress highlights by sector leads
  3. Is October 31 reasonable date for beta cutoff? What if most sectors are available but a couple are not?
  4. Projection planning and discussion: update on MARAMA's projection tool and collaboration on this
  5. Modeling workgroup update - 2016 met evaluation posted
  6. Known users /uses of the beta by members and others
  7. September 20 quarterly comes up quickly after next call
  8. Some university groups asking about participating
  9. Issues / agenda items from coordination WG members [All]


Review action items from previous meeting

  • Zac: create an evaluation spreadsheet template for WG co-leads to use for comparing 2016beta with 2016alpha and 2014v2 (and 2011v6?)
    • Status: See evaluation product strawman
    • Zac suggests some state totals, county totals, maps, bar charts, pie charts, thematic county maps of differences in annual state totals for each criteria pollutant in inventories If groups can create FF10s, then perhaps EPA can help automate generation of comparisons and maps
  • Jeff and Doug: consider whether / when air quality modeling for biogenics is feasible
    • Status: ready to go and provide files, don't have a group ready to modeling
    • need met and boundary conditions; go with alpha or wait for beta
  • Julie: arrange for overview of projection spreadsheets
    • Status: put a google doc with draft approach on Google Drive and working on a plan for doing projections off of 2016, including a timeline;
    • Julie put some spreadsheets on Google docs - working on a workplan [have funding now]; has some ideas for who might do what; asked MARAMA states for some things as growth indicators [VMT, population, employment]; will not be possible to finish for beta, but more version 1;
    • who would coordinate subregional data to work on collecting data? (MARAMA can't for all states)
    • LADCO states - they may be able to do this if MARAMA can provide list of info and where typically get data
    • provided webinar to nonpoint folks: schedule webinar for growth - publicize a date - feedback for nonpoint?
    • Julie will send slide deck to this group
    • Tom: won't be factors for many sectors beyond what MARAMA had - problem will persist beyond v1? what about communicating with states in southeast and West? doing something and showing it is different than giving folks a chance for input; e.g. oil and gas projections?
    • Julie points out they provide options / what ifs; different states do different things [e.g., past 2030]; people are willing to use something are comfortable with; what if people are not engaged? [this will happen]
    • Mark: let workgroups talk through growth options and select; agreed - delegate default growth to workgroups
    • include link to Julie's doc in the meeting notes

Beta progress highlights by sector leads

  • Onroad: close to having 2016 activity data with contributions from states, will have some maps and comparisons for the MJO call next week; hoteling comparison
  • EGU: progress on cross-walk between NEI and ERTAC; hopes to finalize this month
  • Biogenics: None
  • Fires: states submitted data, being implement for beta, cuttoff 8/17; implementing more federal fire information databases, bug fixes, fuel bed update from 2007 to 2014
  • Marine: EPA progressing with link-level AIS marine inventory tool, basis for the next marine inventory (C1, C2, C3); getting AIS data from the Coast Guard, still targeting v1
  • Nonpoint: Working with Judy Rand on combustion sources with AEO2014 for projections; working with EPA group on population projections for subsectors that use population as activity; working on ag as well; asked a couple of other states to fill in, nobody felt they could take on the work; Judy Rand (NJ) has stepped up and taken on a lot of this work
  • Nonroad: Beta run is ready to go, need a model; OTAQ will release 2014 NONROAD this month; working with geographic allocations
  • Oil & Gas: 2016 run of the oil and gas tool by the end of August, include in the beta version; may have new gridding surrogates and temporal profiles; starting work on projections through a subgroup, will likely be basic for the beta version
  • Non-EGU Point: working on controls that are still applicable in the future, looking at consent decrees and admin orders
  • Rail: new datasets and including commuter rail in the national inventory, in particular for the big urban areas; expect 2016 and 2017 in time for beta

Is October 31 reasonable date for beta cutoff? What if most sectors are available but a couple are not?

  • We know that there are needs for 2016 at EPA and elsewhere, late fall
  • Uncertainty in the projections, base year is coming along well
  • Whatever is ready at that point will go into SMOKE modeling; we will likely have a beta for 2016, and some sectors will have a future year, but what do we do for sectors where we don't have anything? Is there a default or is better to not run future years if we don't have a reasonable future year for every sector? There will be no projections off of alpha
  • Will likely need to talk to workgroups to figure out what the national default should be for sectors with no growth information
  • Do any groups not feel like they won't have 2016 beta by Oct 31
    • Marine
    • Oil & Gas
  • Selecting a date should be based on a model performance evaluation criteria
    • Projections are important, but need to do MPE on the base year first
    • Need to make sure that the documentation goes out with the projections
  • Example in a non-NEI year it's hard to get prescribed burning information from the states; won't be able to pull this together in the next couple of months; beta on the fire side will be weak; similar issues with oil and gas
  • Need to work hard on documentation by October 31 to include with the inventory/modeling platform

Projection planning and discussion: update on MARAMA's projection tool and collaboration on this

  • Worked with emissions inventory leads for information on growth indicators (e.g. VMT, population, employment)
  • Example outline is provided on GDrive:
  • If we're going to use anything other than national numbers for growth, this data collection effort needs to start right away
  • Currently being divided by sector, but the growth factors cut across sectors, it's not feasible for a single group to collect everything across the country
  • MARAMA working with the NE, should this be done by MJO for collecting projection data
  • MARAMA will send an example data call that they sent to their states, slides with information that they're collecting, workflow (collect, summarize, and then send questions to states on the quality of the data/approach)
  • Alison/Zac to organize a projection call for all of the workgroups to sit in on; get feedback from nonroad group on what else needs to be covered, get slide deck from Julie
  • How to work with sectors where is there is no factor for growth; how to work with states that aren't involved in the process? Can we hold things constant into the future?
    • There will likely be a national default for states that don't provide data
    • Create a decision point, here's the default provide additional information if you don't agree with this approach
    • MARAMA is putting out a strawman approach, will be looking for comments on how to improve;
    • What do you do in situations where nobody is engaged? Flatline or national default, needs to be the choice of the work group on the best default
  • Workgroup should be in the role for selecting default for areas where this is limited engagement

Modeling workgroup update - 2016 met evaluation posted

  • Co leads: Husein Waheed and EPA person

Known users /uses of the beta by members and others

September 20 quarterly comes up quickly after next call

  • Timeline
  • Status update
  • Go to a 90 minute

Some university groups asking about participating

Issues / agenda items from coordination WG members [All]

  • How to handle disengaged states and the inventories that they build

Action Items

July 11, 2018


Julie, Tammy, Rebecca, Alison, Tom, Jeff, Serpil, John, Michael, Mark, Doug, Jim, Susan, Sarah, Mary, Zac, Jennifer


  1. Review action items from June
  2. Preparing for Beta - review Overview tab on spreadsheet: MJO Collaborative Inventory Plan for 2016
  3. Projection planning and discussion: MARAMA's plans and EPA proposal to expand to a national effort; Beta cutoff date
  4. Modeling workgroup update - 2016 met evaluation posted...
  5. Issues / agenda items from coordination WG members [All]


Review June Action Items

  • WG Co-leads: Send Zac slides for national call by Tuesday 6/29;
    • Status: done
  • Zac: Collate slides into presentation by Wednesday morning 6/20
    • Status: done
  • Zac: Update national report out wiki with webinar registration link
    • Status : done
  • Alison: Send out announcement of call with call wiki link this week
    • Status: done
  • WG Co-leads: Fill out overview tab on the Collab Inventory Plan
    • Status: done
  • Alison: seek participation from EPA OAQPS and regional offices on rail and marine workgroups
    • Status: done
  • Jeff and Doug: investigate what 2016 modeling data are available to use for evaluating biogenic emissions
    • Status: what elements of platform are available at this point - e.g., met, IC/BCs? Consider moving this thread to modeling WG.
  • Zac: Create an evaluation spreadsheet template for WG co-leads to use for comparing 2016beta with 2016alpha and 2014v2 (and 2011v6?)
    • Status: not complete, will work on it this month

Preparing for Beta

  • Will glider kits rule be included?
    • 2017 production cap in place, vacated to end of 2019
    • OTAQ is looking at how to include this in MOVES
    • Is this an issue that the onroad group should look at? Yes, can we just convert 4% of new sales to use 55x of emissions from new trucks, or convert new to old
    • if this holds, we could consider adjusting HD truck age distribution

  • What is beta? Need to agree, within this group, what beta is
    • it's an incremental improvement off of alpha, first of 2016 inventories with projections, defined relative to a date;
    • it will become available as of a certain point in time and can be used for preliminary analyses, but v1.0 would be used for SIP modeling
    • need to include a TSD that describes the strengths and weaknesses of the platform, as it will be used beyond just testing; need a write up that everyone can agree to;
    • what is EPA (and others) planning to do with this beta platform? There are some analyses that need base year in particular in the fall
    • each workgroup to list what was/wasn't included, and what is planned for v1.0
    • need to encourage people to model 2016, knowing that it's not ready for planning; but should convey what will be available in v1.0
    • Will need a TSD to go with the beta; coordination committee could create a template - drafts exist in the charges for the workgroups

Projection Planning and Discussion

  • Julie describes MARAMA's projections approach
    • Develop spreadsheets with factors to grow emissions to the future; internally documented which sources controls apply to, rules they're related to, locations and times they're applied; growth describes factors and areas applied to
    • Set up to have a growth factor for every year of the range of years included in the spreadsheets
    • Dynamic sheets allow you to identify the base and future year to get projection factors between the two years
    • document the source of factors, how they are applied (e.g., by SCC and NAICS), and any rules applied and locations they are applied
    • Takes a few months to put together the spreadsheet
    • Adapt an old template from a previous base year as the starting point fro a new platform
    • Gives states a platform to review and document where changes need to be made
    • Started with the spreadsheet in 2007, adapted for 2011; now adapting to 2016; will be a 6 month process (a lot of state review needed for best results)
    • Developing for all NE states (ME to NC, coast to PA/WV)
    • applied to nonpoint, point, oil and gas, CMV
    • looking to get a webinar on the details, late July/early August
    • EPA reviewed the spreadsheets for 2011 and found them useful; challenge is getting the factors built in, especially for the rules in place; if we can agree on the methods and agree that a national scale tool could be useful
    • Is there interest in other regions to general growth spreadsheets? LADCO, yes
    • This effort is beyond the beta version (v1.0)
    • MARAMA held a webinar with the nonpoint workgroup and invited non-EGU point

  • Beta Cutoff
    • Proposal: October 31 cutoff
    • Will anyone use projection years in November? EPRI's global causes of haze
    • detailed review periods for some sectors (e.g. nonroad) may need to be after beta before v1.0
    • Modeling may not be done until December/January
    • Complete shakeout runs before the platform is distributed
    • Others may use as soon as it is released

Modeling Workgroup Update

  • have co-leads from states - a number of people contacted Zac
  • Wiki page exists - still need to schedule kickoff
  • need to find out what's available for met and IC/BCs
  • need an EPA co-lead

Outstanding Issues

Action Items

  • Zac: create an evaluation spreadsheet template for WG co-leads to use for comparing 2016beta with 2016alpha and 2014v2 (and 2011v6?)

  • Jeff and Doug: consider whether / when air quality modeling for biogenics is feasible

  • Julie: arrange for overview of projection spreadsheets

June 13, 2018

Next Call: July 11, 2018 @ 2:00 Eastern

Attendees Susan, Michael, Tom, Sarah, Doug, Rebecca, Tammy, Zac, Caroline, Julie, John, Jim


  1. Review action items from May [Alison]
  2. National call prep - review draft schedule and presentation template [Zac]
  3. WG Critical Needs - Rail and Marine missing EPA participation [Mark]
  4. Preparing for Beta - review Overview tab on spreadsheet: MJO Collaborative Inventory Plan for 2016
  5. 2016alpha nonroad correction and implications for other WGs [Tom/Alison]
  6. Review of making use of the 2023 projections from the 2016 platform [Tom]
  7. Issues / agenda items from coordination WG members [All]


Review Action Items

  • WG leads: fill out Overview tab in the Collaborative Inventory Plan
    • Still looking for this to be completed by all WGs
  • Zac: send out a template and draft schedule for the June national report out call
    • See below for links
  • WG leads: review the modeling workgroup strawman workplan and add/edit, as needed
    • Still looking for comments
    • Julie to send to OTC modeling committee for review

National Call Prep

  • Call is scheduled for 6/20 at noon Eastern
  • Download Slides Template
  • Wiki
  • Send slides to Zac for collation (using this template) by Tuesday 6/19 noon Eastern.
  • Focus of this presentation is the status of the beta version of the inventory: where is the workgroup with the 2016beta inventory and projections? When do you expect to have data to review/release? What are the upcoming milestones?
  • Fill out the overview tab for the Collaborative Inventory Plan and use this to guide the content for the presentation; put all information in this plan and refer people there for more info
  • Add a slide on projection years: why 2023 and 2028, why not 2020; could 2020 be a low priority item? 2020 is not needed for attainment demo modeling, but would be interesting for marginal NAAs for 2015 O3 NAAQS
  • Include a slide for the modeling workgroup; what are they doing and what additional participation will be needed

WG Critical Needs

  • Rail and marine looking for more participation from EPA
  • Suggestion to seek co-lead from OAQPS or regional offices (region 1 for marine or region 9 for rail
  • Alison will communicate to the regions on their next call that the collaborative is going on, and looking for volunteers
  • Alison and MJO directors to reach out to regional offices for participation
  • Modeling workgroup needs members and more scope; suggestion to fold meteorology under modeling workgroup, also include ICBCs; met activities will be to inventory/evaluate what's available for 2016 met data
  • Biogenic workgroup needs a modeling platform to help with the evaluation of the emissions; seeking a 2016 platform; discussion on using the 2015 anthro emissions from EPA with 2016 met as a possibility; Alison will see what it will take to get a 2016alpha platform built at EPA; need to define what will be investigated by the modeling, what are the questions that the workgroups will be investigating through the modeling; the approach taken by the biog workgroup may provide a template/prototype for how other WGs approach modeling for inventory evaluation

Preparing for Beta (Alison)

  • Please fill in the overview tab of the collaborative inventory plan
  • Fill in when beta components will be ready and when the projections will be available; when will there be comment periods

2016alpha nonroad correction and implications for other WGs (Tom/Alison)

  • What does this mean for the review and approval work for the other WGs?
  • Is there sufficient documentation of the process and inputs used by EPA for the alpha datasets?
  • Should there be an “up front” sampling of the 2014 vs. 2016 data inputs to allow comparison before 2016 alpha data were generated?
  • 2016alpha for nonroad was built last year, EPA missed some trends in the unadjusted comparisons with 2014; found that the 2016alpha data were actually 2014 emissions factors run with 2016 met & fuels; NONROAD rerun with 2016 factors to create a new alpha nonroad inventory; not expected that this issue will be relevant for other WGs
  • Remind the WG co-leads about the evaluation steps listed in the inventory collaborative workplan; part of the QA steps for the beta 2016 inventory should be at least state total comparisons back to 2016alpha and 2014v2; seek help from other workgroup members (those not as engaged) to check and comment on these comparisons
  • NE contribution modeling showing that nonroad is projected to be a big deal for future O3 concs.
  • Coordination group (Zac and Alison) to create a spreadsheet template for comparing different inventory versions

Review of making use of the 2023 projections from the 2016 platform (Tom)

Beta vs. v1 / now (whenever there is a robust/complete/representative 2016 platform across all sectors to project from…) vs. in the next couple of years

In a collaborative process, especially for projections, it suggests measurable metrics for quality AND completeness/representativeness across all source sectors and consensus agreement of participants. The process result, even given that many others are using other years for planning purposes, would be better and more defensible if we identified:

  • How good is good enough and why?
  • Individual states have to decide about their moderate SIP submittals and I’m not sure our technical process is specifically addressing what they want/need – is it? Have we asked?

  • Out of time, will cover this on next call

Issues / agenda items from coordination WG members (All)

  • Ran out of time; next call

Action Items

  • WG Co-leads: Send Zac slides for national call by Tuesday 6/29
  • Zac: Collate slides into presentation by Wednesday morning 6/20
  • Zac: Update national report out wiki with webinar registration link
  • Alison: Send out announcement of call with call wiki link this week
  • WG Co-leads: Fill out overview tab on the Collab Inventory Plan
  • Alison: seek participation from EPA OAQPS and regional offices on rail and marine workgroups
  • Jeff and Doug: investigate what 2016 modeling data are available to use for evaluating biogenic emissions
  • Zac: Create an evaluation spreadsheet template for WG co-leads to use for comparing 2016beta with 2016alpha and 2014v2 (and 2011v6?)

May 9, 2018

Next Call: June 13, 2018 @ 2:00 Eastern

Attendees Alison, Zac, John H., Susan M., Tom, Michael, Jim, Chris, Jeff, Jennifer, Caroline, Sarah, Tammy, Mary


  1. Review action items from April [Alison]
  2. WGs need to keep monthly notes up to date so people can follow along [Zac]
  3. Modeling WG Strawman [Zac]
  4. WG lead vacancies [Alison, Sarah, Caroline]
  5. Preparing for Beta - populate Overview tab on spreadsheet: MJO Collaborative Inventory Plan for 2016
  6. Issues / agenda items from coordination WG members [All]


Review Action Items

  • Strawman on modeling workgroup
    • Will discuss on May call
  • Post notes and, if possible, recording of webinar
    • Notes are posted, webinar recording is being reviewed and may not be posted because of poor quality
  • Zac and Alison to follow up on unanswered questions
    • Done, see National Call wiki
  • Alison to post updates to distributions on FTP and Drive to include 2016 point sources
  • Alison to post Google Drive spreadsheet to prepare beta
  • Workgroup leads fill in the beta spreadsheet

Monthly Notes (Zac)

  • Keep your workgroup wikis up-to-date! We need the notes to satisfy the transparency goal of this effort.

Modeling WG Strawman (Zac)

Modeling Workgroup Wiki

WG lead vacancies

  • Nonpoint WG: Chris Swab is leaving OR. Recruiting a replacement from the state of WA air agency
  • Nonroad: Joseph Jakuta is leaving OTC. Sarah will begin recruiting a replacement this week or next

Preparing for Beta (Alison)

  • WG leads to fill out spreadsheet detailing plans for beta [Alison]
  • Plan to use for this call next month to discuss beta and on national report-out in June
  • Hear key points from WG members
  • Who will use this?
    • LADCO plans to use for both RH and O3
    • SE will use for O3, but that won't be for years out
  • Still need to target the beta platform this summer, because if we don't drive the schedule to some extent, we won't end up with a product; may slip the to fall
  • It's difficult to project some sectors given that it's a non-inventory year; also what do we do about rules that are changing

Issues / agenda items from coordination WG members (All)

Action Items

  • WG leads: fill out Overview tab in the Collaborative Inventory Plan
  • Zac: send out a template and draft schedule for the June national report out call
  • WG leads: review the modeling workgroup strawman workplan and add/edit, as needed

April 11, 2018

Next Call: May 9, 2018 @ 2:00 Eastern

Attendees Zac, Alison, Jim, Sarah, Serpil, Chris, Joseph, Jeff, Mark, Doug, Tammy, Caroline, Susan, Julie


  1. Review action items from March
  2. Follow up on the National Report Out Call (Zac)
  3. Coordination between workgroups (Alison + All)
  4. Creating engagement in workgroups (Zac)
  5. Defining Beta (Alison + All)
  6. Discussion of challenges by workgroup leads (All)


Follow up on the National Report Out Call (Zac)

  • Call went well, but need to allow more time for assembly of full package next time
  • People stayed within their allotted times
  • Get the notes from the call up on the wiki - Zac is working on this action item
  • Add in link to the webinar recording - need to see if LADCO has the recording
  • Follow up on unanswered questions
  • Time of the next national call: noon instead of 1:00 Eastern

Coordination Between Workgroups (Alison)

  • Discussion of where workgroups overlap (e.g., EGU point and non-EGU point splitting) and how to facilitate inter-group collaboration
  • Newly posted data:
    • Comparison report between 2014/2015/2016
    • 2016 point data summaries out there for categorizing into sectors
    • Updates to point need to get into EIS before beta version:
    • data on UNC Google drive are available in larger chunks for easier reassembly:
    • Platforms posted on FTP and Drive will be updated with 2016 alpha point sources soon
    • If there are not resources for both NEI and 2016, NEI should be the priority for states
  • Pressing coordination needed between the point inventory: any changes for the point inventory need to make it in by mid- to late-May, this includes non-EGU point elements like rail yards and ports
  • Need to know information about different types of units to help with modeling these data; need to talk in the workgroups to ensure that all of the fields needed to model the sources are available
  • Examples of workgroups that overlap: fires + non point, EGU + nonEGU point, oil & Gas + non point + nonEGU point, non-road + rail, non-road + marine, non-EGU point + rail
  • All WGs should review the growth factors (i.e., sources of data) used by each sector, to ensure consistency across the inventory

Creating Engagement In Workgroups (Zac)

  • WG co-leads face challenges of inaction by group members and by critical feedback without any suggestions for improvements
  • Need to turn a complaint around into a question or wish, every complaint is a frustrated wish
  • Remind workgroup members that we are balancing best practices and resources. Define best practices (what is possible) and prioritized given resources (what is practical)
  • Given an complaint: respond with, what is a better way of doing X? or reframe with "I wish that..."
  • Be specific about how others have provided state data, and provide timelines; with onroad WG, specified early that states could provide VMT, states then had a target of what they could collect; give very specific inputs of what they could collect/how they could contribute; avoid ambiguity
  • Whenever a state has offered up data for feedback, add them to the agenda
  • Example of where a discussion was taking away from the agenda, WG co-lead moved the discussion offline to work out the issue; set up an avenue for offline discussion if someone (or an issue) is derailing a call
  • Nonroad WG offered an example of where lively discussions on the calls have helped improve the overall process; people have shared their own development approaches, WG leads have taken these insights to the OTAQ non-road development team; discussions have been fruitful to get examples of how others have done things

Defining Beta (Alison + All)

  • How does EPA build a platform given that emissions data are always evolving?
  • How will we know when we have a beta platform? What will be in it, and when?
  • In giving structure to beta, will create a spreadsheet for the WGs to describe what beta will likely include for each sector; describe time constraints on achieving what beta could be; what we want in it and when we think we’ll have it
  • Example non-road: want an improved version of non-road with growth factors but it may not be possible to get these growth factors in by July
  • Collaborative is a unique effort: have a product in mind and an idea for the date, but no hard deadline on producing the platform
  • Building block approach: people can compile sector versions into a platform on any time frame
  • Suggestion that we just pick a date and say that everything available at that time is in; need to have a platform that can be comparable between modeling groups
  • Need to look at schedule for prospective deliverables from the WG leads before deciding on this beta freeze date
  • Action: Alison puts together spreadsheet
  • Action: WG leads fill in what they want in the beta platform and when they think it will be ready
  • Concern about the projections and getting these into beta
  • Need a centralized table/schedule for data review
  • Will be some sectors where there are choices for modelers., e.g. biogenic: MEGAN and BEIS, EGU: EPA engineering and ERTAC; modeling workgroup will discuss issues related to compiling a modeling platform where there are multiple choices for certain sectors
  • Documentation needs to go out with beta versions of the data; specification sheets are proposed to help: how it was built, data sources, how it is done; comparisons between different versions
  • Projections: which data set to use for the comparison: EL for 2028, and EN for 2023; include state totals in documentation

Challenges (All)

  • On-The-Books rules are being rescinded and/or reworked - how to handle these changes when building inventory projections?
  • Stick with the on-the-books and only make changes when a rule is finalized
  • Need to tease out rules that may be on the chopping block and make it easy to take these rules out, if needed
  • Control packets could be made by rule, but it complicates the modeling effort

Action Items

  • Strawman on modeling workgroup
  • Post notes and, if possible, recording of webinar
  • Zac and Alison to follow up on unanswered questions
  • Alison to post updates to distributions on FTP and Drive to include 2016 point sources
  • Alison to post Google Drive spreadsheet to prepare beta
  • Workgroup leads fill in the beta spreadsheet

March 13, 2018

Note alternative date for March meeting

Attendees Zac, Alison, Serpil, Doug, Mark, Jeff, Julie, Tom, Mary, John, Sarah, Chris, Joe, Caroline


  1. Review plan for national outreach call on 3/15 (Zac, Alison)
  2. 14-15-16 Platform Update (Alison)
  3. Discussion of challenges by workgroup leads
  4. Registration from May Training in RTP from Sally Dombrowski


National outreach call review

  • workgroup leads to prepare a few slides
  • Keep workgroup presentations to 7 minutes so all groups have time to report out; see Alison notes on what to include in the presentations:
    • Intro to workgroup – co-leads, List of members
    • Structure of workgroup (if any sub-groups)
    • Information on level of participation
    • Planned methods and work focus areas
    • Likely contents of beta inventory
    • Data that might become available for comment and schedule for this
    • High-level plans for projections (more about this next time)
  • Discussion on need to introduce the point source inventory development approach; Alison will create a slide on the general point source release to add into the intro slides
  • Need to include a wrap up slide that broadcasts where to find notes and when the next meeting will be (June 20 @ 1:00 EDT)
  • Plan for handling of questions
    • We will direct attendees to ask questions through the webinar client; Alison and Zac will facilitate the discussion, and if time will pose a couple of questions while on the call; all questions will be addressed after the call on the wiki
    • Julie will put together a slide that describes how to ask questions through the webinar client
  • Discussion on when/who will do the 2016 air quality modeling for evaluating the 2016 inventory products, and sensitivities
    • LADCO will do 2016 runs, but no solid scope yet
    • Need to develop a wishlist of possible sensitivities: biogenic (MEGAN vs BEIS), with/without fires, projection approaches, source apportionment...
    • What is the best forum for this discussion? InterRPO data share group? probably need an emissions modeling workgroup to discuss issues with processing the 2016 data

14-15-16 Platform Update (Alison)

  • Alison is working on the platform component table
  • EPA is working with UNC to post a full archive of each platform to a Google Drive for distribution; in addition to scripts, will include sample SMOKE outputs for testing

Challenges (all)

  • Jeff: participation is good in the biogenics workgroup; two groups: one that follows and adds a little here and there and another small group that is doing most of the work; co-leads working to make sure that everyone has current data and information in front of them to drive the process forward; don't know what the dynamics of the fire and oil and gas workgroups will be yet
  • Julie: trying to head off people who are getting ahead of the process and catastrophizing about the schedule; co-leads have had to circle people back to the leadership to address some "alarmist" requests about involvement in the group
  • Tom: some sectors have relied heavily on contractor support (oil/gas, fires) in previous inventory efforts and it's not clear what the path forward will be without this support; Jeff has worked to secure possible support from USFS to work on the fire inventory; possibly some resources to contract ERG to help with oil/gas
  • Caroline: also dealing with varying levels of engagement; a lot of suggestions that the methods be changed but no input on how they should be changed; challenge to get people to move beyond criticism and into more substantial contributions to the process; looking for ideas
  • Mark: make more of an effort to accommodate the people who are doing the real work
  • Caroline: is there still interest in forming an aircraft subgroup within non-EGU point? there was originally discussion about this group, but now questioning whether there is enough momentum to support it; EPA and MARAMA are doing some work in this area
  • Joe: nonroad group is sorting out what states and MJOs have done in this area that can help the process; set up an approach to review two subsectors each call, seems like a good approach

MOVES2014b Release

  • EPA planning a release of MOVES2014b in the summer that will include updates to nonroad database: emissions factors, projection information, engine populations

Action Items

  • All: upload final slides for outreach call by Wednesday 3/14 5:00 EDT
  • Alison: add a slide on the 2016 point source inventory to front-matter
  • Alison: add a wrap up slide describing where to find notes, answers to questions, and date/time of next call
  • Julie: create a slide describing how to ask questions in the webinar client
  • Zac: collate slides into a single deck and post to wiki Thursday morning
  • Zac: research ideas to create more engagement in the workgroups: how do you move beyond criticism into contributions
  • Zac/Alison: create a strawman approach for a modeling workgroup to address technical issues with emissions modeling, and air quality modeling to evaluate the data

February 14, 2018

Attendees Zac, Alison, Caroline, Jeff, Chris, Doug, Jeff V, Sarah, Tom, Serpil, Mark, Susan (MARAMA), Mary, Michael, Julie


  1. Review January Action Items
  2. Check in on meetings to-date (Zac on general; Alison on international)
  3. Remind co-chairs of their charges: starting with alpha, and facilitating development/innovation toward a beta version (Zac)
  4. Update from EPA on NEI14v2 and planned 2016 inventory/platform releases (Alison)
  5. Discuss/brainstorm challenges being faced by workgroups (Alison)
  6. Outside involvement in the collaborative: who else can be involved and to what extent (Zac)
  7. Upcoming meetings: (Alison & Zac)


Review January Action Items

  • Workgroup Leads: Schedule meetings and send meeting times to Zac for inclusion on the Collaborative Calendar
    • Status: Done, except for oil&gas, fires, Canada&Mexico
  • Workgroup Leads: Draft charge and document work on the workgroup Wikis
    • Status: Ongoing. Most WIKIs have been updated.
  • Zac: Update Google calendar with workgroup meetings
    • Status: Done for the groups who sent information: EGU, non-EGU point, rail, marine, onroad, nonpoint, biogenic, nonroad; still need oil&gas, fires, Canada&Mexico
  • Zac: Add template (following this doc) to each workgroup wiki page
    • Status: Done
  • Zac: Circulate email with Collaborative workplan outstanding elements
    • Status: Pending
  • Zac/Alison: look at the EPA modeling platform table from Tom/Pat D. and draft something similar for the Collaborative: a table that can be used to track the different versions of the workgroup products
    • Status: Pending - best to do after alpha version is available
  • For Future consideration: Success metrics.

Check in on meetings to-date

  • Most workgroups have met. First fire workgroup meeting is scheduled for March 1. Oil and gas plans to have a meeting in early March. A roadmap is being developed for the WRAP effort. An outline will be developed regarding how to leverage that effort for the 2016 collaborative and with ideas for building 2016. International group had a discussion via email. This group may benefit from EPA regional staff involvement. Alison will probably schedule a call after new Mexico data are available to review that and other issues.

Remind co-chairs of their charges: starting with alpha, and facilitating development/innovation toward a beta version

  • Zac described parallel efforts in the workgroups: 1) production of usable products for alpha, beta, v1; and 2) development/discussion of longer-term improvements and innovations to be used for later versions of 2016 and 2017 inventories. The goal is to leverage a larger group of people involved in this effort to develop new methods and data. It could be difficult to balance the two efforts, so workgroups will need to prioritize. The first step is to evaluate the existing 2014NEIv2 and 2016 alpha data. The workgroups will then need to figure out what is doable for the beta and v1 versions, given the size and level of engagement of the workgroups, and work towards accomplishing those steps.

  • Tom brought up that it will be important to clarify the components of the alpha platform: which are from 2014 versus 2016. He suggested something similar to what Pat Dolwick had provided would be helpful. Additional documentation will be important including documentation on emissions factors, spatial allocation, temporal allocation, speciation, and plume rise.

  • Zac agreed that some level of documentation for the inventories and that the beta version should have more data for 2016. Documentation would need to specify which sectors don't have actual 2016 data.

  • Tom wanted clarification on why we have an alpha version and who is going to use it.

  • Mark described that it often takes a while to get the desired model performance, so the alpha version will allow LADCO and others to get started modeling their regions so that issues with meteorology and other aspects of the platform can be addressed. The beta version is a step along the way to the final version and it gives us an opportunity to have a first set of projections. Zac agreed that the alpha is to shake out modeling with the new year, not for planning purposes and that beta would be an improvement.

Update from EPA on NEI14v2 and planned 2016 inventory/platform releases

  • See NEI2014v1 Pie Charts Courtesy LADCO. Note that 2014NEIv2 should be live on the NEI website by President's Day.

  • EPA is planning a coordinated release of 2014, 2015, and 2016 alpha that will include the rest of the input data needed for emissions modeling and scripts by late February or early March. EPA will not have fully processed AQM-ready emission inputs or AQM outputs for these cases, but others can prepare their own. The scripts will be tested prior to release and some sample outputs for selected days can be provided. These distributions will include MOVES emissions factors, SMOKE-processed onroad mobile emissions, and biogenic emissions for each year.

  • For 2014, only NATA/HAPs simulation/scripts will be available from EPA

  • For 2016, EPA will provide year-specific data for onroad mobile, nonroad mobile, fires, biogenics, oil and gas, and point; the nonpoint sectors will mostly be for 2014

  • Collaborative may be forum for creating a unified set of SMOKE scripts to use for processing the different modeling years

  • Comments were made that the platform table would be helpful to clarify what is in this release.

Discuss/brainstorm challenges being faced by workgroups

  • We didn't have time to get to this item, but we encourage WG leads to email Zac and Alison with any challenges they may be having.

Outside involvement in the collaborative: who else can be involved and to what extent

  • University researchers expressed interest in being involved. We believe that the workgroups would become unwieldy with external parties that could have different agendas. The workgroups should primarily consist of State/local/tribal/regional organizations, but each workgroup has latitude to consider what makes sense for their group. For example the rail workgroup has included rail organizations from its inception, and workgroups may want to have invited speeches from researchers or contractors.

Upcoming meetings

  • Fed/State Collaborative: Thursday 2/22 @ 11 Eastern (see attached draft presentation on emissions). Mary pointed out that we should be sure to include some background as some on this call may not be very familiar with the origin of the effort. Alison provided a draft presentation - please send comments if you have them.

  • Next month’s broader meeting: need to determine mechanism and call-in – hold as a webinar? It seems that we may want to schedule this on a separate day/time/mechanism from the regular call. Perhaps as a webinar in late March. Details to be worked out.

Action Items

January 17, 2018 Update

Reach out to your Workgroup Members

Action requested:

  • Please send an introductory message to those who have volunteered for your workgroups. Let them know where to find your workgroup page on the Collaborative WIKI and also point them to the top level collaborative WIKI page.
  • Please update your WIKI page to include your workgroup charge and your workgroup member names, but not emails (to help prevent SPAM).
  • Internally, you will also need to maintain lists of the workgroup emails so you can send your notices and meeting notes. You should start with the names on the spreadsheet Julie sent November 30. Since then, a few other messages were received and forwarded to co-leads.
  • If you update your list on the Wiki, we’ll all be able to see and cross-check that all of the members who want to participate have been added to the groups.
  • If you are piggy-backing your meetings with other existing workgroups, please be sure you explain that to your new members and you get them added to the existing workgroup invitee lists.

January 10, 2018

Attendees Alison, Doug, Joe, Mark, Serpil, Tammy, Chris, Tom, Jeff, Julie, Caroline, John, Jim, Mary, Michael, Dave, Jennifer, Sarah


  • Review action items from December
  • EPA plans for 2014-2016 platform availability (alpha version)
  • Workgroup check ins (limit to 5 min per workgroup)
    • Have you scheduled your first call?
    • What have you worked on since the last call?
    • What's your plan for the next month?
    • Do you need help from the coordinating committee?
  • Logistics check in
    • Any issues with accessing the Collaborative work spaces?
    • Comments or suggestions for improving/augmenting the current systems?
  • Specification sheets reminder
  • Outstanding Development Plan Items
    • Approval and Sign Off - how do we determine when the products from a workgroup or ready to hand off? Who approves these and what should the approval process be? Is there an official "sign off" on the modeling products produced from the workgroups? Does sign off assign some level of responsibility to the approver?
    • Success Metrics - How do we measure workgroup success? Are there milestones and required products? Are these consistent across workgroups?
    • Accuracy, Utility, and Value Weighting - What do these mean?
    • Review and distribution of specification sheets to others outside of the collaborative - at what point do we distribute the spec sheets? after the alpha versions of the inventories? just before/after the beta versions?
    • Sharing information outside of the Collaborative under “Representative Review and Comment”:

Each workgroup will provide documentation of work products for ongoing review and assessment by states and tribes across the country, and accept and record all comments received on each work product. Further, a more complete process for sharing information about the 2016 EMP with others outside the collaborative and receiving input from outside stakeholders will be defined by the coordination committee. For example, sector specification sheets and documentation from workgroups could be posted for review and comment by stakeholders outside of the 2016 EMP Collaborative for the 2016 alpha, beta, version 1.0, and v1 projections.

  • Other items


  • December Action Items
    • Zac: Give permissions to all workgroup leads on G-Suite and wiki
      • Status: DONE
    • Zac: Create a Collaborative Google Calendar with the workgroup meeting times;
    • Alison: Update Collaborative Coordination WG calendar invite with a link to this wiki page
      • Status: DONE
    • Alison: develop lists of EPA members on workgroups
      • Status: Emailed to WG co-leads 1/17/18
    • Alison and Jeff: prepare available 2016 and 2014 data to share with workgroups
      • Status: In Progress.
      • See updates reported in the next agenda item
    • Zac: propose dates in 2018, starting in March, for the quarterly national webinars
      • Status: Done.
      • Regular scheduled Coordination Committee calls (2nd Wed @ 2:00 Eastern), extended to 1.5 hours: March 14, June 13, Sept 12, Dec 12
      • Will need a better mechanism for call to accommodate more people and to present slides; LADCO webinar is a possible solution
    • Workgroup Leads: Schedule meetings and send meeting times to Zac for inclusion on the Collaborative Calendar
      • Status: In progress
      • See workgroup check ins below
    • Workgroup Leads: Draft charge and document work on the workgroup Wiki
      • Status: In progress
      • See workgroup check ins below

  • EPA plans for 2014-2016 platform availability (alpha version)
    • This work will be the starting point for the Collaborative workgroups
    • EPA will be looking for reviews from workgroups on the data provided for each sector
    • EPA will distribute inventory files for 2014, 2015, and 2016, ancillary data, and SMOKE scripts in a format similar to emissions modeling platforms; onroad will also include summaries by SCC
    • Target date: Feb 2018
    • What data will actually represent 2016?
      • onroad, nonroad, biogenic, fires, CEMs, everything else will be 2014v2
      • 2016 point, including non-EGU point from the states, will be available in March 2018
    • WRAP requested a summary of modeling files from EPA; see this summary table as a reference product for this effort
    • 2016 meteorology data is on the way to LADCO; LADCO can redistribute to interested RPOs

Workgroup Status Updates

  • Biogenic:
    • Status: first call scheduled Jan 23 @2-3 EST, agenda will be forthcoming; 7-8 confirmed members; draft charge document is being worked on; BEIS3 run for 2016 is done; TCEQ is working with MEGANv3 and will use the 2016 EPA met
    • Will BEIS and MEGAN be compared to obs? Leads will need to charge the workgroup to figure out how much effort will be put into the analysis
    • The Collaborative may end up with multiple biogenic datasets (at least two), that states/regions can decide how/what to use
  • Fires:
    • Status: no call yet, members have been identified; charge document is being worked on; 2016 draft fire inventory for WF and Rx is available at EPA with tech memo summarizing the data
  • EGU:
    • Status: call is scheduled 4th Tuesday at 2 pm using an existing EGU committee; also working with ERTAC EGU committee to get a 2016 base case, projections, and different control cases; base 2016 ERTAC EGU run will be done in January 2018, projections will be done in the next month or two; once the NEI point sources files are done, workgroup will work on the cross-walk between ERTAC EGU and the NEI
    • Will there be a technical support document that describes the process/synthesis of the cross-walk? Yes
  • Oil & Gas:
    • Status: members have been identified (it's a big group); this workgroup will be coordinated through the national oil and gas committee but separate calls will be scheduled; charge document is being worked on, although there is a need to get the workgroup together to start to scope out the work for this group
  • Onroad:
    • Status: this workgroup will be run as part of the MOVES MJO call: 3rd Thursday @ 2:00 Eastern; 2016 emissions factors are available that are compatible with NEI2014v2, need to figure out what to do for activity (VMT); trying to figure out how to project/estimate 2016 activity based on the NEI2014v2; will discuss on the MOVES MJO call and in this workgroup; want to get an alpha run done soon to enable analysis of the data
  • Nonroad:
    • Status: no call yet; will be looking into adjustments for non-road sources; updates next month
  • NonEGU-Point:
    • Status: new co-chair with Tammy Manning, first call hasn't been scheduled yet; working on charge document
  • Nonpoint:
    • Status: first call January 19 at 1:00 Eastern; working on the charge document; much of it has been done from the example, working on the final parts; looked at the NEI2014 TSD to get an idea of what items should be prioritized as part of the "other nonpoint" category
  • Rail:
    • Status: call last Thursday; working on both 2016 and 2017; committee subgroups: line-haul, C3, and yards; expecting a final inventory for 2016 and draft 2017 this summer, final 2017 in early 2019; 48 members in the workgroup
  • Marine:
    • Status: first call yesterday, next call January 25; 13 workgroup members; looking to get national AIS data from DOT; talking about methodology now, need to figure out how to use the 500 Gb database for creating AQM emissions; plan is to create county inventories for near and in-shore, linkproc files for offshore
    • What's the geographic coverage of the workgroup? Alaska to the east US, but nobody from CARB; Tom will connect Mark with a CARB contact
    • Will you create low-resolution (gridded vs. link-based) data for larger modeling grids: No, the plan is to use link-based data for all domains
  • Mexico/Canada:
    • Status: no call yet; work group has members, no new information on inventories/projections
  • Meteorology:
    • Status: 2016 data are being circulated now, going to LADCO on drives; LADCO can redistribute as needed

Logistics/Check In

Be careful accessing the Collaborative G-Suite if you have multiple Google logins. Can get crossed-up and lose permissions. Watch what account you're logged in with.

Specification sheets reminder

Use the spec sheets for documentation templates...both for format and for the level of detail/content needed for documenting the efforts of each workgroup.

Outstanding Development Plan Items

Zac to send an email out asking for comments on Collaborative work plan elements that have not yet been fully resolved.

Action Items

  • Workgroup Leads: Schedule meetings and send meeting times to Zac for inclusion on the Collaborative Calendar
  • Workgroup Leads: Draft charge and document work on the workgroup Wiki
  • Zac: Update Google calendar with workgroup meetings
  • Zac: Add template (following this doc) to each workgroup wiki page
  • Zac: Circulate email with Collaborative workplan outstanding elements
  • Zac/Alison: look at the EPA modeling platform table from Tom/Pat D. and draft something similar for the Collaborative: a table that can be used to track the different versions of the workgroup products

Next Call: February 14, 2018

December 13, 2017


Zac, Alison, Julie, Michael, Caroline, John, Sarah, Jeff, Chris, Jim, Mark, Jennifer, Tom


  • Review Collaborative Google Drive
  • Review Collaborative Wiki
  • Coordination Workgroup role: process and planning, logistics, facilitation
  • Status update from each workgroup, including which workgroups still need leads. List of co-leads
  • Review the general charge for each workgroup; from the top level GDrive (first bullet above) under Oversight see Nonpoint Workgroup Charge and EGU Workgroup Charge examples
  • Documentation: Specification Sheets for documentation; see Specification Sheet Template under the Oversight folder
  • EPA update on 2014v2 release
  • Other items


  • Presentation on the Collaborative G-Suite and Wiki - described that G-Drive will be used to store data files, inventories, and to share documents while Wiki will be used for meeting notes and status information
  • G-Drive has directories for each workgroup - each directory should be updated to include a workgroup charge (start with examples in the Coordination folder and items in the 2016 plan), and a specification sheet
  • Specification sheets are key for transparency and documentation - try to update as progress is made
  • Concerns about access and permissions discussed: VA and CA known to not have access to G-Suite, likely others; workgroup leads will need to figure out work arounds
  • Bear with the coordination leads as we work through the initial permissions and access issues to the resources laid out for this process
  • The process and resources are suggestions, not prescriptive
  • Need MJO/state co-leads for non-EGU point and non-road
  • EPA will likely just lead the Mexico/Canada group
  • Alison gathering 2016 data that they already have in-hand for the workgroups. Currently have on-road, non-road, fires, biogenics for 2016; most of the non-point sectors they have are for 2014
  • Make sure to distinguish between the 2016 and 2014 data; 2014 will be labeled 2014v2

EPA 2014v2 status

  • onroad, nonroad, point fires (wild, rx), point are ready; nonpoint is still being worked on, hopefully ready in January
  • Is there a reference or resource for EPA 2016 global modeling for ICBC data? EPA can share the input data and status of this effort. Would like to see a presentation (webinar) on the hemispheric modeling, when available (several months away)

Workgroup Status Updates

  • Biogenic: MEGANv3 for 2016, waiting for met data; kickoff meeting in Jan, will share BEIS3 inputs/outputs; charge in draft form posted before Christmas; will look at BEIS vs MEGAN comparisons to see if BEIS needs upgrades; 2016 BEIS will be provided; analysis and timelines will be worked out by workgroup; need support for nested grids [for all sectors not just biogenic]
  • Fires: draft 2016 fire inventory, plan for EPA is draft a technical memo describing how it was created, will provide data and workgroup can do analysis, workgroup in place; challenge is how to think about fires and projections; charge document is drafty
  • EGU: Process in building 2016 ERTAC EGU, expecting to have something for states to look at in January, projections will stretch out to April; will prepare growth factors based on AEO 2018 once available; EPA working on new projection platform, consulting with ERTAC group on new platform; states will submit point inventory by 2nd week of January, will be put out for review in March and work on how to split inventory to meet MJO and EPA needs
  • Oil & Gas: long list of members, Tom will work on the charge document, will get a call going the first of the year; WRAP has some contractor support for this sector with a road map of what needs to be done, Tom will share with the national group
  • Onroad: no meeting yet, but Alison will provide an overview of what's available in 2014v2 on the upcoming MOVES workgroup (12/21/17); 2016/2014v2 will be used as the starting point; presentation will be available from MOVES working group
  • NonEGU-Point: have list of members, EPA trying to find the co-lead
  • Nonroad: focusing on recruiting the co-lead and working on the charge; larger effort will be to have the inventory incorporate the updates to the model in the forthcoming MOVES release: growth rates, and Tier 4 emissions factors
  • Nonpoint: Jennifer Synder will be helping, tasks are pretty well laid out but have a lot of other categories that will need to be addressed; getting some help from different groups (e.g. RWC is being worked on by Rich Mason)
  • Rail: will update yard methodology, new data for commuter rail; tomorrow is the 2nd call for this workgroup, looking at methodologies and starting in January will put together the plan
  • Marine: no call yet, maybe next week to walk through the different way of using AIS data and plan for how the 2016/17 inventory will be built using AIS data (EPA will get these data); OTAQ is already involved in building a tool similar to SMOKE, will be working in parallel with them
  • Will skip Mexico/Canada/Meteorology today

  • Schedule approximately quarterly national webinars to report out on the progress of this collaborative; targeting March 2018 for the first call
  • Get list of the workgroup meeting times and publish somewhere: e.g., Google Calendar for collaborative?

Action Items

  • Zac: Give permissions to all workgroup leads on G-Suite and wiki
    • Done
  • Zac: Create a Collaborative Google Calendar with the workgroup meeting times;
  • Alison: Update Collaborative Coordination WG calendar invite with a link to this wiki page
    • Done.
  • Alison: develop lists of EPA members on workgroups
  • Alison and Jeff: prepare available 2016 and 2014 data to share with workgroups
  • Zac: propose dates in 2018, starting in March, for the quarterly national webinars
  • Workgroup Leads: Schedule meetings and send meeting times to Zac for inclusion on the Collaborative Calendar
  • Workgroup Leads: Draft charge and document work on the workgroup Wiki

Next Call: January 10, 2018