Not logged in - Login

Oil and Gas Workgroup

Collaborative Wiki Main Page

Inventory Collaborative Google Drive Link

Members

Co-leads: Tom Richardson(OKDEQ), Jeff Vukovich (USEPA)

For a listing of the team members

Coordination Committee Meetings

September 9, 2019

Attendees

See:

Agenda

  • Roll call
  • Review Action Items from last call
    • WRAP to provide 7 state base year inventory in FF10 format and ancillary data by last week of August
    • WRAP to arrange for a possible meeting with CARB about future year emissions for their state
      • Met on Aug 23rd; CARB likely to submit 2028 inventory in late Sept
      • A year 2023 inventory sometime after that
    • AK and EPA to meet in late August on oil and gas-related issues (2016 and other year inventories)
      • Met on Aug 28th; possible follow-up items
  • WRAP update on base and future year inventory development
  • Update on National Default projections and controls for version 1 for years 2023 and 2028
    • Emissions after growth summaries
    • Applying controls to grown emissions next
  • Last 2016 Workgroup call is Oct 7th, 2PM ET, 1PM CT
    • 2016-specific issues can be discussed during monthly National O&G Workgroup calls

Minutes/Notes

  • Roll Call
  • Action Items from previous meeting discussed
    • AK and EPA met in late-August and discussed revisions to Tool to better reflect activities in AK; followup meeting in Sept.
  • WRAP gave update on status of base and future year inventories
    • Base year now possibly available mid-Sept
    • Future year (2023) available early to mid-Oct
    • ND flaring data from EIA used to make revisions to emissions in ND, SD and MT
    • Tribal land inventories for SW Colorado to be provided
    • New speciation profiles discussed
  • Update on default future year projections provided
    • Report summaries to be provided soon
    • Growth factors applied and controls next step

Action Items

  • WRAP to provide 7 state base year inventory in FF10 format and ancillary data by mid-Sept
  • WRAP to provide future-year inventory scenario by early to mid October
  • EPA to provide emissions summaries of default projections and controls for version 1 modeling platform for years 2023 and 2028
  • WRAP to provide information on how tribal land inventories are to be spatially allocated

August 12, 2019

Attendees

See:

Agenda

  • Roll call
  • Review Action Items from last call
    • WRAP to provide 6 state base year inventory within the next week
    • WRAP to provide future-year inventory scenario by mid- to late August
    • EPA to examine Colorado 2016 oil and gas point source inventory and provide summary
    • EPA to provide spreadsheet for projection of production-related emissions
      • Insert latest workbook for workgroup
    • AK would like to investigate the use of Oil and Gas Tool to generate future year inventory estimates
  • WRAP Base Year and Future Year inventory update(pdf) (WRAP and Ramboll)
    • California discussion: how to estimate impact of control programs in state?
  • Update on Future Year Projections for v1 platform
  • Next workgroup call Monday Sep 9 at 2PM ET, 1PM CT

Minutes/Notes

  • Roll Call
  • Action Items from previous meeting discussed
    • AK and EPA to meet later this month on oil and gas emissions related topics for their state
    • AK shared concerns that, when the O&G EI Tool is used to estimate emissions for AK, the emissions are overestimated.
    • Jeff V noted that EPA has not previously incorporated Alaska’s future-year oil and gas emissions into the gridded modeling domain, but that could change in some new modeling domains being considered
  • WRAP presented updates on the new base year Emissions Inventory and future year scenarios work
    • Base year data likely to be delivered last week of August
    • Future year scenarios may be available later in September
    • Still some meeting with Colorado to finalize their emissions dataset(s)
    • The future year scenarios approaches will be documented in report
      • definitely some subjectivity involved for each individual basin
    • CAMx runs with these scenarios may take place in early 2020
    • WRAP will try to get a meeting setup with CARB to see if future year emissions available for CA
    • Darla Potter (Wyoming) discussed the basin-to-basin variability in the Intermountain West and how that warrants different projections approaches for different basins.
  • EPA presented an update on the default projections approach which included county maps
    • 4-year averaging of exploration data for years 2014-2017 have been completed and emissions generated
      • QA of this emissions dataset in progress
    • EPA provided Excel workbook that details how projection factors are developed for each state/county/region
    • For transmissions sources, we are planning to use regional projection factors derived from AEO 2019 production projections (not multiplied by state production data) with, possibly, a floor and a cap to constrain the projections within reasonable bounds.

Action Items

  • WRAP to provide 7 state base year inventory in FF10 format and ancillary data by last week of August
  • WRAP to provide future-year inventory scenario by mid- to late September?
  • WRAP to arrange for a possible meeting with CARB about future year emissions for their state
  • EPA to finalize default projections and controls for version 1 modeling platform for years 2023 and 2028
  • AK and EPA to meet in late August on oil and gas-related issues (2016 and other year inventories)

July 15, 2019

Attendees

See:

Agenda

  • Roll call
  • Review Action Items from last call
    • WRAP to provides a plan/steps for providing a new 2016 inventory for 6-7 states and a future-year projection scenario (called Medium case)
      • Details were discussed during WRAP Oil and Gas Bi-Monthly call on Jun 11
      • Reports documenting progress to date provided by WRAP
    • EPA to work with AK DEC to address their comments
      • EPA and AK have had phone/email inventory discussions
  • WRAP OGWG Base Year Report(pdf) (WRAP and Ramboll)
  • Default national projections approach for 2016v1 (pdf) (Co-chairs)
  • Next call will be August 12th, 2PM ET, 1PM CT

Minutes/Notes

  • Roll Call
  • Action Items from previous meeting discussed
  • WRAP/Ramboll gave an update on their base inventory development
    • A report and spreadsheet were provided
    • Survey description was provided
    • Comparisons vs 2014NEI are in report
    • Future year scenario be worked on after release of base year inventory next week
    • Discussion on approach for Colorado non-point and point sources
  • Workgroup co-chairs presented default approach for projections
    • Projection factors to be provided to workgroup soon
    • See agenda for ppt

Action Items

  • WRAP to provide 6 state base year inventory within the next week
  • WRAP to provide future-year inventory scenario by mid- to late August
  • EPA to examine Colorado 2016 oil and gas point source inventory and provide summary
  • EPA to provide spreadsheet for projection of production-related emissions
  • AK would like to investigate the use of Oil and Gas Tool to generate future year inventory estimates

June 10, 2019

Attendees

See:

Agenda

  • Roll call
  • Review Action Items from last call
    • Feedback on beta documentation and inventory was due 5/31
      • IL and MARAMA sent more feedback
  • EPA Emissions Inventory Conference in Dallas TX July 29-Aug 02
    • Regi Oommen (ERG) presenting national 2016 inventory development talk
  • Updated 2016beta specification sheet documentation available
  • Summary of PA and IL emissions changes for 2016v1 base year inventory (pdf)
  • Schedule
    • Base year 2016v1 now complete it seems
    • June: Continue to finalize default national approach for projections
    • July 15 WG call: present proposed default national approach for projections
    • Deadline to submit region-specific projections (e.g. WRAP) for v1 is July 19
    • August call: Recap of 2016v1 and future-year inventories, other issues?
    • September call: If necessary; workgroup calls end
  • Next call July 15th 2PM ET, 1PM CT

Minutes/Notes

  • Roll Call
  • Action Items from previous meeting discussed
    • AK provided comments but wasn't in agenda; will examine their comments
  • EPA Conference in Dallas will include many oil and gas training and informative talks
  • Updated 2016beta documentation available
  • Summary of PA and IL emissions changes for 2016v1 provided
  • WRAP indicated they are moving forward with using recent survey to generate new 2016 emissions for 6-7 states
    • Timing of this TBD very soon
  • Remaining schedule for workgroup discussed
  • Default projections approach to be finalized by next call

Action Items

  • WRAP to provide a plan/steps for providing a new 2016 inventory for 6-7 states and a future-year projection scenario (called Medium case)
  • EPA to work with AK DEC to address their comments
  • Default projections approach for 2016v1 by July call

May 13, 2019

Attendees

See:

Agenda

Minutes/Notes

  • Roll Call
  • Action Items from previous meeting discussed
    • Projections subgroup met and default national approach in draft form
  • PA and IL base year inventories will be changing in 2016v1
    • more details to follow
  • Emissions summaries, maps and plots available now
    • need feedback by May 31
  • WRAP states presented future year projections approach
    • 3 scenarios labeled Low, Medium and High
    • Medium approach based on trends at basin-well type level
    • Low and High scenarios still being planned
    • Projections to year 2023
    • Tom Moore indicated to use 2023 for any year 2028 modeling platforms
    • See presentation
  • Draft default national approach presented
    • See presentation

Action Items

  • Provide summary of IL and PA base year changes for 2016v1
  • Feedback on beta documentation and inventory due 5/31

April 8, 2019

Attendees

See:

Agenda

  • Roll call
  • Review Action Items from last call
  • Quality Assurance of beta steps
  • Base year changes for version 1
    • Pennsylvania update (conventional and unconventional wells)
    • Other?
  • Future year projections for version 1
    • AEO2019 vs AEO2018 analysis(pdf) (Vukovich)
    • Another year of historical data (2018) may be useable in some cases
    • Use more historical years of exploration data to come up with new “average” activity to generate non-point exploration emissions
    • Examine possible approaches to projecting point source categories we did not touch in beta platform
    • Goal: come up with "default" version 1 projections
      • State/local input discussion
      • Thoughts on state/local approaches for more granular estimates (regional, basin-wide, or county-by-county). Is this possible for version 1 or do we defer this for future work?
  • Projections subgroup meeting before next workgroup call?
  • Next call Monday May 13th 2PM ET, 1PM CT

Minutes/Notes

  • Roll Call
  • Action Items from previous meeting discussed
  • 2016beta documentation presented and discussed
    • Feedback on documentation due 5/31
  • Quality Assurance
    • Current summaries available shown
    • Plan for more QA steps discussed
  • Future year projections
    • Point sources
      • Transmission sources: western-half of USA have been seeing a change in a direction of flow in some cases; challenging cases that need more information
      • Michigan has subterranean storages under NAICS 486210
    • Non-point sources
      • Ramboll: basin approach has been done in past
      • TCEQ discussion regarding Barnett and Permain
      • OKDEQ mentioned Stack and Scoop areas seeing growth
      • Could come up with default approach and states submit possible changes with supporting documentation

Action Items

  • Subgroup on future-year projections will continue to meet to examine historical exploration data listed below and any 2016v1 issues(Subgroup members)
  • Provide list of QA steps for beta inventory
  • Feedback on beta documentation and inventory due 5/31
  • Investigate use of EIA's AEO forecast for Tight Oil and Shale Plays table

March 11, 2019

Attendees

See:

Agenda

Minutes/Notes

  • Roll Call
  • Action Items from previous meeting discussed
  • EPA Emissions Inventory Conference survey on training desires available
  • 2016 beta documentation complete; should be released later this week
  • Update on future-year projections given
    • Summaries to be provided soon
  • Discussed what to include in 2016v1
    • Presentation with slides as starting point
    • Will seek more years of exploration data for future year projections
    • Oklahoma mentioned a variety of options projections
      • County-to-county or basin-to basin factors based on agencies best judgement and supporting documentation
      • TCEQ's Hubbert method
      • Ramboll's effort to project certain basins in past
      • Natural Gas Liquids production expected to rise
    • Ramboll mentioned that the Oil and Gas Play table from AEO could be tried to help with finer scale projections
    • TCEQ expressed a desire to breakdown the state historical data to county level so it can be used in projection process (e.g. 2016 to 2017) to better match up with EIA Oil and Gas Supply Regions
    • There was less concern for overall "mass" balance (AEO forecast) and more concern to use best judgement locally
    • AEO forecasts have tended to be conservative in recent years
    • ND, SD, MT, UT, NM are just some states that have oil and gas activity on tribal lands

Action Items

  • Subgroup on future-year projections will continue to meet to examine historical exploration data listed below and any 2016v1 issues(Subgroup members)
  • Release of 2016 beta documentation announcement
  • Provide future-year emissions summaries

February 11, 2019

Attendees

See:

Agenda

Minutes/Notes

  • Action Items from previous meeting discussed
  • 2016 beta documentation, Oil and Gas Tool and inventory data are now available
    • Please let EPA know if you have trouble accessing data/docs
  • State of NY plans to run Oil and Gas Tool and provide feedback/possible new emissions
  • Exploration activity summary for 2014 and 2016 provided and discussed
    • Unknown well spuds are put in the "Vertical" category
  • WRAP survey info provided by Ramboll/WRAP
    • most likely will be a gathering of CURRENT data (2018ish)
    • its use for year 2017 or other years can be determined later
    • Survey results might be available for late spring

Action Items

  • Obtain historical exploration data for years 2011 to 2017 (EPA)
  • Subgroup on future-year projections will continue to meet to examine historical exploration data listed below and any 2016v1 issues(Subgroup members)
  • Continue working on 2016 beta documentation (Moore, Vukovich and others)
  • Finish up future-year beta emissions (EPA,others)

December 10, 2018

Attendees

See:

Agenda

Minutes/Notes

  • Action Items from previous meeting discussed
  • An update on the progress of obtaining/organizing the historical drilling and active wells data was provided
    • Draft dataset may be made available soon
    • Years 2011 to 2017 may be part of this dataset
  • A summary of the year 2016 beta non-point inventory provided
    • See presentation in agenda
    • Oil and Gas Tool for 2016 made available
    • Updated emissions summaries provided
  • Discussion of future-year emissions for beta by the group followed
    • Looking into using year 2014 and 2016 historical exploration data for beta projections
  • Early thoughts on 2016v1 inventory priorities discussed
    • Tom Moore indicated a WRAP survey may be complete in time to provide updated information for emissions estimation for 2016v1
      • 7-8 states involved
      • Schedule this survey coming soon
    • Tom Richardson (OK) indicated the desire to move towards higher spatial resolution future year projections (county,basin, TCEQ approach etc)
    • WY will be examining 2014NEI vs. 2016 beta and other factors to determine how best to characterize oil and gas emissions for WY in 2016v1
    • Workgroup member expressed to desire to learn more about the ancillary data (profiles, surrogates etc) used in emissions platform modeling for oil and gas sources
    • Tom Moore indicated that separating out state-regulated and federally-regulated (e.g. tribal lands) oil and gas emissions should be investigated

Action Items

  • Subgroup on future-year projections will continue to meet to examine data listed below and any beta version issues(Subgroup members)
    • investigate use of historical drilling data
    • investigate use of historical active well counts
  • Continue working on 2016 beta documentation (Moore, Vukovich and others)
  • Provide WRAP survey schedule (Moore)

November 5, 2018

Attendees

See:

Agenda

  • Roll call
  • Review Action Items from last 2016 O&G Workgroup call
    • Generate emissions reports for the 2016 Oil and Gas tool output before next workgroup meeting (Vukovich)
    • Improve SCC description for the Artificial Lift SCC to indicate this is source related to the oil industry only
      • Mentioned this EPA Emissions Inventory staff; SCC description to be edited in some way
    • Begin working on 2016 beta documentation (Moore, Vukovich and others)
  • Status of 2016 beta emissions
  • Update on future-year projections for beta version
    • Subgroup on future-year projections continued to meet and finalize recommendations for year 2023 and 2028 projections for beta release (Subgroup members)
    • Action Items from subgroup (pdf)
    • EIA report discussion: https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=37416
    • Projections subgroup will make a list of possible tasks to assist with projections for 2016 version 1 (subgroup members)
      • Examining historical drilling data and use for future-year projections
  • Next call Dec 10th at 2PM ET, 12PM MT

Minutes/Notes

  • Action Items from previous meeting discussed
  • Discussion of status of 2016 beta emissions
    • Latest Tool results completed and summaries posted
    • CO, OK and CA have specific inventories
    • EPA contractor will generate report on 2016 Oil and Gas Tool work
    • Examined NOX, CO, SO2, and VOC national summaries
    • Ohio commented that their QA of 2016 emissions went well
  • Discussion of future-year projections
    • Recent action items, historical drilling data and number of active wells data discussed
    • Gas vs oil and basin-by-basin differences important
  • Base 2016 beta to be finalized soon; loan tweak left possibly in PA
  • Future-year decision likely to be finalized on Dec 10th call

Action Items

  • Subgroup on future-year projections will continue to meet and finalize recommendations for year 2023 and 2028 projections for beta release (Subgroup members)
    • investigate use of historical drilling data
    • investigate use of historical active well counts
  • Finalize 2016 beta base year emissions; possibly tweak with PA (EPA, PA and contractor)
  • Generate more emissions reports for the 2016 beta emissions (Vukovich)
    • including comparisons with 2014NEIv2 emissions estimates
  • Continue working on 2016 beta documentation (Moore, Vukovich and others)

October 15, 2018

Attendees

See:

Agenda

  • Next Call is Monday Nov 5 at 2PM ET, 12PM MT

Minutes/Notes

  • Action Items from previous meeting discussed
  • Tom Moore provided an update on the information gathering process from states on point and nonpoint oil and gas sources
    • States can continue to send information to Tom so he can continue to organize it for the workgroup
  • EPA and ERG provided an update on the 2016 Oil and Gas Tool emissions work
    • draft beta emissions provided by ERG last week
    • KS and WV will need to be updated soon
    • reports were provide during Workgroup call but more reports will be provided soon (email update will be sent)
    • if members have trouble accessing reports please let co-leaders know (Vukovich and Moore)
  • CARB for year 2016 provided to EPA but in QA phase
  • The Oil and Gas projections subgroup provided an update on draft methodology for beta release
    • Subgroup will continue to meet this month
  • Tom Moore mentioned that WRAP states will be conducting an oil and gas survey from Oct - Dec 2018 and may have results in Jan/Feb 2019
  • New gridding surrogates for the oil and gas inventory will be provided in a couple of weeks along with 2016-specific monthly temporal profiles for this sector

Action Items

  • Subgroup on future-year projections will continue to meet and finalize recommendations for year 2023 and 2028 projections for beta release (Subgroup members)
  • Continue to QA and improve emissions estimates with Oil and Gas Tool on year 2016 (EPA and contractor)
  • Generate emissions reports for the 2016 Oil and Gas tool output before next workgroup meeting (Vukovich)
    • including comparisons with 2014NEIv2 emissions estimates
  • Projections subgroup will make a list of possible tasks to assist with projections for 2016 version 1 (subgroup members)
  • Improve SCC description for the Artificial Lift SCC to indicate this is source related to the oil industry only
  • Begin working on 2016 beta documentation (Moore, Vukovich and others)

September 10, 2018

Attendees

See:

Agenda

  • Roll call
  • Review Action Items from last 2016 O&G Workgroup call
    • States/MJOs/tribes continue to provide input to this point source info spreadsheet
      • Spreadsheet was also attached to meeting invite; submit to Tom Moore
  • 2016 Oil and Gas Tool work update (Vukovich, Snyder)
    • Work has begun
    • Tentative schedule: Draft emissions ready week of Sept 17th, monthly temporal profiles ready Oct 1
  • 2014/2016 point oil and gas inventory (Vukovich)
    • Updated with latest 2016 input data plus latest WV data
  • Future-year projections update (Moore, Vukovich, Richardson, others)
  • Next workgroup meeting is Oct 15 2PM ET, 12PM MT

Minutes/Notes

  • Action Items from previous meeting discussed
  • WV, OH and TX have or will be submitting input data for 2016 Oil and Gas Tool processing
  • Tom Moore requested a list of which states submitted data for use in Oil and Gas Tool processing for 2014NEI
  • The 2016 point source inventory has been updated along with some recent WV corrections
    • This point source inventory consists of year 2016 specific emissions but if a source hasn't been updated to 2016 then 2014NEIv2 emissions are used
  • Tom Richardson, Jeff Vukovich and Tom Moore provided updates on the Projections subgroup progress
    • Brian Timin (EPA) brought a few issues that need further analysis regarding how production vs. number of active wells relationship and conventional vs. unconventional wells.
    • Dale Wells mentioned historical analysis of wells can be helpful
    • Most of the effort thus far has been with growth of sources
    • Subgroup will make a list of possible tasks to assist with projections for 2016 version 1

Action Items

  • Subgroup on future-year projections will continue to meet and generate recommendations for year 2023 and 2028 projections for beta release (Subgroup members)
  • Continue Oil and Gas Tool work on year 2016 (EPA and contractor)
  • Generate emissions reports for most recent 2014/2016 point source inventory (Vukovich)
  • Generate emissions reports for the 2016 Oil and Gas tool output before next workgroup meeting (Vukovich)
  • List which states submitted input data for Oil and Gas Tool work for 2014NEI ( Snyder)
  • Projections subgroup will make a list of possible tasks to assist with projections for 2016 version 1 (subgroup members)

August 13, 2018

Attendees

See:

Agenda

  • 2016 Oil and Gas Tool task update (EPA)
  • If time permits, early look at oil and gas production growth (Vukovich)
  • Tentative schedule to beta release
    • Late Aug: 2016 Oil and Gas tool begins
    • Aug-Sep 10: Projections subgroup begins to compile recommendations
    • Sep 10: Next workgroup call is 2PM ET, 12PM MT
    • Late Sept-early Oct: 2016 Oil and Gas tool emissions available
    • Oct 15: another workgroup call; Projections subgroup recommendations made
    • Oct 31: Beta release due

Minutes/Notes

  • Action Items from previous meeting discussed
  • Tom Moore continues to collect point and non-point source information from states
  • Tom Richardson's (OKDEQ) presentation highlighted many different issues when grouping oil and gas sources into the upstream/midstream/downstream bins
    • Presented options for projecting to future years
  • MARAMA's tools to project oil and gas sources discussed
  • Future year projections subgroup will meet very soon
  • The timeline to the 2016 beta release of the Oil and Gas emissions inventory was presented and discussed

Action Items

  • Subgroup on future-year projections to meet and generate recommendations for year 2023 and 2028 projections for beta release (Subgroup members)
  • Begin Oil and Gas Tool work on year 2016 (EPA and contractor)
  • States/MJOs/tribes continue to provide input to this point source info spreadsheet
    • Spreadsheet was also attached to meeting invite; submit to Tom Moore

July 9, 2018

Attendees

See:

Agenda

Minutes/Notes

  • Action Items from previous meeting discussed
  • Tom Moore is updating the Point Source info spreadsheet with data from Colorado and Texas
    • If possible, States please continue to submit this info to Tom Moore
  • Tom Richardson (OK) has sent an email on "Methods on Estimating Emissions from Oil and Gas Sources" that needs to be discussed either via a subgroup or the entire workgroup or both.
  • Jeff Vukovich briefly described EPA's current process to generate growth factors for O&G sources
    • EPA's method documented in modeling TSD's
    • Historical production data by state used with regional AEO forecast production data
  • Michael Ege (TCEQ) presented the Hubbert method and other TCEQ analysis slides
    • Commodity pricing impacts briefly discussed
    • Applying this method to other parts of the country was briefly discussed; unsure of how doable this is and resources necessary
  • Ramboll (Grant and Bar-Ilan) presented numerous types of data and the issues involved in generating forecast O&G emissions
    • Forecasting drilling schedules, active well count and production among the many data that would ideally need to be estimated
    • Spatial resolution down to basin, sub-basin or at play-level discussed
    • Equipment turnover greater at basins where production rising quickly
  • A subgroup needs to be formed to come up with recommendations for projecting emissions to future years for beta version (Fall) and for the 2016 version 1 platform (early 2019)
    • Doodle poll will be sent out asking for volunteers for this subgroup
    • It is unclear on the amount of resources available for projections, so perhaps keep it simple for beta version and try to improve for v1

Action Items

  • Follow-up with Tom Richardson (OK) regarding his recent email on estimating O&G emissions (Co-leaders, OK staff, others)
  • States/MJOs/tribes continue to provide input to this point source info spreadsheet on Google Drive or by emailing workgroup co-leaders (ALL)
  • A subgroup on future-year projections will be formed (Co-leaders)
    • Doodle poll to be sent out by Tom Moore
    • Subgroup will meet to come up with recommendations for the beta version and early plans for 2016 version 1 projections
  • Next Workgroup call is Monday, Aug 13 at 2PM ET, 12PM MT

June 11, 2018

Attendees

See:

Agenda

  • Plan for next 3 monthly calls (T. Moore and J Vukovich)
    • Today = point sources
    • July call = future year projections discussion/subgroup formed
    • Aug call = future year projections: recommendations for beta version
  • Update on 2016 point source oil and gas (Vukovich, Moore and Snyder)
  • Gathering info on point sources (Permit info/Registration/caps/etc) (T. Moore)

  • Update on possibility of using Oil and Gas Tool for 2016 (Vukovich, Snyder and Moore)
    • Review availability of 2016 data from states that have directly submitted non-point data in the past
      • Alaska, California, Colorado, Michigan, New York, Michigan, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Wyoming, others?
  • Next workgroup call is Monday July 9th, 2PM ET

Minutes/Notes

  • Content for the 3 workgroup calls were briefly discussed.
  • List of NAICS codes is changing in 2017; must continue to realize this when examining 2016 point source emissions
  • NAICS 211112 for Natural Gas Liquids Extraction may not fall into the "upstream" emissions bin
  • Roslyn Higgin (NM) mentioned that the first 4 NAICS codes in the "upstream" bin in the meeting's pdf presentation are not "upstream" sources according to their state's inventory
  • Recommend looking at NAICS-SCC combinations
  • Tom Moore present template for gathering point source info: permitting, registration, etc.
  • After workgroup discussion, Tom Moore volunteered to modify the template based on that discussion
  • Using the Oil and Gas Tool to generate non-point emissions estimates for 2016 is looking likely occur
    • Discussion occurred where Jennifer Snyder explained her recent email requesting if states wanted to possibly use the emissions from this tool or if they had state-specific 2016 estimates or if they want to just pull forward the 2014NEIv2 inventory to 2016.
    • NY indicated that some adjustments were made to the Oil and Gas tool for their state for 2014NEI; need to make sure those adjustments are used in 2016
    • AK indicated concern with trying to come up with detailed 2016 Oil and Gas tool input data; EPA responded by saying that it is understood that this is a non-NEI year and it may not possible for states to do this. AK will likely just pull forward their 2014NEIv2 estimates to 2016.
    • Jennifer Snyder (EPA) continues to gather up responses to her email dated June 6, 2018
    • NM mentioned a recent email regarding point vs. nonpoint O&G sources for their state. Workgroup co-leaders will meet with NM soon about this.

Action Items

  • Compile all NAICS-SCC combinations for oil and gas point source inventory(Vukovich)
  • Make any edits to the point source info xls presented during this call after discussion and make it available to all workgroup members via a Google document (Moore and Vukovich)
  • Workgroup co-leaders meet with NM (Roslyn and Mark Jones) about NM-specific email concern regarding point vs. non-point sources in their state

May 14, 2018

Attendees

See:

Agenda

Minutes/Notes

  • Majority of call consisted of presenting the 2016 point source oil and gas inventory (pt_oilgas) after getting updates for 2016 emissions for some facilities
  • Upstream, Mid-stream and downstream sources and their definitions were discussed
    • NAICS codes do not always give clear definition of if a source is upstream or other
    • Previous inventory studies have found exceptions where compressor stations with "upstream" NAICS was actually involved with transmission activities which could be mid-stream
  • It is important to classify upstream or midstream or downstream because of method/activity data used for growing emissions into future
    • AEO production forecast data can be used for growing upstream sources while maybe consumption forecasts for downstream/mid-stream
    • Perhaps no growth for mid-stream is possible in some cases
    • Members suggested applying growth by NAICS
      • may need to make exceptions but just focused on major emitters
  • Subject of possible double-counting situations with point and non-point sources were discussed
    • Oil and Gas Tool has an option for states to subtract out their point source emissions from non-point inventory
    • If a 2016 Oil and Gas Tool inventory is generated, must keep track of upstream sources in point and non-point inventories
    • WY and CO gave examples of the QA and process they go through to submit point sources and non-point sources for oil and gas.

Action Items_

  • Post pt_oilgas emissions summaries with year 2016 emissions update (Vukovich)
  • Co-leads to generate outline for next 3 calls to get to beta version of inventory ( Moore and Vukovich)
  • States/MJOs/others to quality assure the new point source inventory for 2016 point source (ALL)
    • Are the major emitting facilities classified appropriately by NAICS code? Exceptions?
    • Are the changes from 2014NEIv2 to 2016 levels OK?
    • Provide feedback by JUNE 4, 2018
  • All members continue to think about how best to grow and control emissions to future years 2023 and 2028 (ALL)

April 9, 2018

Attendees

See:

Agenda

Minutes/Notes

  • Roll call was completed
  • Action Items from previous call reviewed
  • Tom Moore presented an outline of the survey timeline along with the other milestones for the workgroup
    • NYDEC provided survey input and related-document made available in the agenda for the call
    • OKDEQ also provided survey input and QA/QC-related info
    • The National Oil and Gas Analysis project and the different documents available were discussed
  • Vukovich presented how EPA typically divides up the NEI point sources inventory and how it impacts oil and gas sources
    • Discussion about NAICS codes being updated in year 2017
  • QA reports are available in QA folder on Google Drive
  • Last agenda item will be moved to next call
  • Next meeting Mon. May 14th 2PM ET

Action Items

  • Members to continue to review the charge document before next call (ALL)
  • Please continue to send Tom Moore survey ideas (ALL)
  • Members to continue to review alpha version of the 2016 oil and gas inventory (ALL)
    • Send QA steps that you perform and feedback to co-chairs please!
  • Provide outline/plan for generating beta version inventories for years 2016, 2023 and 2028 ( Moore and Vukovich)
  • EPA year 2016 point source inventory for oil and gas will be made available to workgroup before next call (Vukovich)

March 12, 2018

Attendees

See:

Agenda

Minutes/Notes

  • Roll call was completed
  • Monthly calls will be on second Monday of the month at 2PM ET
    • HOWEVER next call on April 9th at 1230PM ET to accommodate a MJO/state meeting conflict on that day
  • 2016 Collaborative EMP development was summarized
  • The Oil and Gas Workgroup charge document was summarized
  • Tom Moore summarizes the Alignment between 2016 EMP and 2017 NEI for O&G sources document
    • Tom introduced possible survey ideas
      • Possibly come from the states/MJOs on the workgroup and voluntary
    • Discussion of beta and version 1 of 2016 O&G inventories and schedule
  • Alpha version of the O&G sources inventory was explained and discussed
    • EPA should have a year 2016 point source O&G inventory in late March or early April
    • Tom Moore(WRAP)/John Grant (Ramboll) mentioned that a review of the point and non-point O&G sources report is available
    • Group discussed methodologies to project sources from 2014 to 2016
      • Alpha version used historical production state data from EIA
      • Projection factors were provided on Google Drive Oil and Gas folder
      • Modelers have option to use NEI2014v2 or projected 2016 inventory in AQ modeling applications

Action Items

  • Members to review the charge document before next call
  • Members to review the Alignment 2016 EMP-2017 NEI document
    • Survey ideas to be sent to Tom Moore before next call
  • EPA to provide NAICS codes used to determine which point sources belong in the point source O&G sector (Vukovich)
  • Provide links to the National Committee review docs (T. Moore)