- 1. Members
- 2. Marine Committee Meetings
- 2.1 Call December 14th, 2017
- 2.2 Call Tuesday January 9th, 2018
- 2.3 Call February 20th, 2018
- 2.4 Call June 19th, 2018
- 2.5 Call July 17, 2018
- 2.6 Call Aug 21, 2018 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM CDT
- 2.7 September 14th, 2018 Recap Call.
- 2.8 Tue, Sep 18, 2018 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM CDT
- 2.9 Tue, Oct 16, 2018 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM CDT
- 2.10 Call June 18, 2019
Michael Aldridge - EPA OTAQ
Third Tuesday of the month at 3:00 PM Eastern. Upcoming calls:
Tue, Aug 20, 2019 2:00 PM - 3:30 PM CDT
Current Membership List can be found at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EdUNG8lMUO-WaYFMaHroI6Z4QB1Uo7c4qDF5FYphh_o/edit?usp=sharing
- Presentation on 2014 Line Haul Work https://drive.google.com/open?id=158qFP0wuv9cKjqJE_gFbOFRJSeAH6dgn
- Presentation on 2014 Yard Work.https://drive.google.com/open?id=16tCLOzD2RFcnqjAF-j9BThynVXH-dsS0
- Discussion of Workgroup goals
- Overview of past projects of committee members.
Second Call Wednesday February 7th 2018
- Presentation by EPA of EPA marine emissions estimate tool.
- Draft estimates late 2018, Final Model 2020.
- ENERCON review of LADCO Great Lakes Methodology.
- Deep Dive into ENERCON Access database.
Status of OTAQ work on 2017 Class 3 Marine (Power Model and AIS Processing
Work is proceeding well with OTAQ on the development of 3 primary tools. Michael Aldridge did a presentation on the Marine Power model EPA is currently working on. The tool is a R based package with functions to calculate power demand given a complex set of inputs. The primary input is vessel speed from AIS data as well as a number of other vessel specific characteristics. Aditional work is coming to build an emissions calculation model based off the results of the power model. Finally, EPA continues work on R based tools to process AIS data for use in the model.
OTAQ is building these tools primarily as tools for Category 3 Vessels(large mostly ocean going). The committee will work to adapt these tools for Category 1 and 2 vessels which are critical for port operations and operations on the Great Lakes and Rivers.
Discussion of EPA-OAQPS 2017 inventory development
Laurel Driver described project EPA has to develop 2017 NEI inventories for Category 2/3 vessels. The group expressed their hope that EPA would work with the committee to build these inventories.
Julie McDill joined the call and discussed MARAMA's concern that Marine is an important source in the northeast. They would like to see the group work on cargo handling equipment at ports in addition to the purely marine components currently planned. The group may undertake these sources after the primary goals have been reached.
Updated 2016 CMV inventory based on AIS not available until Version 1 of platform
For beta, inventory compatible with 2014v2 but will at least have some SO2 adjustments, perhaps more. Need to determine projection method.
The group will focus on 2016 C1 and C2 because OTAQ is working on C3 processing. However, 2016 C3 will still need to be developed because OTAQ's focus is on 2017.
Michigan asked for data, but agency wanted all states to ask separately
Jennifer St. Clair gave a presentation of a contractor scoping out options for MARAMA
- seemed better with ocean going vessels
- any work would be done in phases with Phase 1 costing 50-65K with a total across phases of 160-220K
- presentation has more details and examine several aspects of work that could be done including top 25 port analysis
- work with Army Corps of Engineers entrance & clearance data (NEI also used this)
We need to be careful not to duplicate work being done by this group or via the NEI development
There is a model of a NY/NJ port that Julie would appreciate seeing
It will be a challenge to develop the AIS-based emissions
- 2017 NEI team is working to use AIS to develop C1C2 and also C3 inventories
- Process should be collaborative to the extent possible within the contractual relationship
Next call will start 1 hour later
Update on OTAQ marine model - Michael Aldridge OTAQ
Intern has left Organization Lots of functions and code is being pieced together now. Bugs being removed. Processing C3 from 2017 AIS, matching with registry, splitting out as groups.
processing speed Southern California took an hour Difficulty fixing problems and hammering out specific methodologies.
Registry data from Clarkson, Unique identifiers, vessel characteristics.
Can we get raw data from http://marinecadastre.com
MARAMA Update. Jennifer St. Clair
Can we pivot and get 1 or 2 folks outside OTAQ to start working with draft marine model and start developing C1/2 Marine.
Here is the presentation:
Webinar Recording: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5399816341522899459
Agenda: Update on 2017 Category 3 inventory Development from EPA. Update on 2017 Category 1/2 inventory from EPA.
Alpha Tester Progress
EPA Status report on 2017
Growth Rates review and comment.
A presentation was given on the status of the 2017 NEI commercial marine vessel inventory
- Some discussion of how the inventory might be adjusted to emulate the year 2016 was held
- C3 marine data has been processed into hourly gridded files that can be input to SMOKE in preparation for air quality modeling
- Documentation for the C3 emissions inventory is available.