Not logged in - Login

Coordination - 2021

Collaborative Wiki Main Page

Inventory Collaborative Google Drive Link

Members

Co-leads: Alison Eyth (EPA OAQPS), Zac Adelman (LADCO)

Mark Janssen (LADCO), Julie McDill (MARAMA), Mary Uhl (WESTAR), Tom Moore (WESTAR), Michael Vince (CENSARA), Jeff Underhill (NESCAUM), John Hornback (SESARM), Jim Boylan (GA DNR), Byeong Kim (GA DNR), Doug Boyer (TCEQ), Serpil Kayin (EPA), Jeff Vukovich (EPA), Caroline Farkas (EPA), Sarah Roberts (EPA), Tammy Manning (NCDENR), Eric Zalewsky (NY), Tom Richardson (OK), Susan McCusker (MARAMA), Chad LaFontaine (SESARM), Heather Simon (EPA), Norm Possiel (EPA)

Coordination Committee Meetings

Held the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 2:00 p.m. Eastern. This wiki will be used to present the agenda before each call.

August 18, 2021

Agenda

  1. Update on 2016v2 status (EPA)
  2. Update from MJOs/states on ongoing modeling (All)
  3. Discussion about inventory and modeling collaboration

Attendees

Alison, Mark J, Tom R, Zac, Debbie, Winston, Tammy, Byeong, Caroline, Jeongran, Serpil, Michael, Jeff U, Jeff V, Sarah, Mary, Jim B, Eric,

Notes

1.       Update on 2016v2 status (EPA)

  • Inventories are ready for 2016, 2023, 2026, 2032
  • working on packaging and TSD -*post in about a month (mid-September)
  • MOVES3 EFs and a package to run for 2016 are already posted, plus nonroad emissions
  • 2016v2 onroad and nonroad emissions to be presented by Janice on MOVES MJO call tomorrow
  • 2016v2 web page with brief summary to go up soon

2.       MJO / state modeling updates (MJOs and states)

  • LADCO have 2016 and 2023 runs in queue with multiple nested grids
    • 12/4/1.33 km domains for 2016 and 2023 one-way nested with CAMx
    • have a new machine to run on but 1.33 is making it slow
    • working to put on AWS
    • will run state sector tag SA run to look at contributions by sector to design control strategies
    • also plan brute force NOx and VOC cuts - will help refine control needed
    • will try to model more targeted control scenarios
    • Movesmrg processing is slowest process for them
    • running for ozone season - and will do attainment test: RRFs, FYDVs, how nested grid impact performance
    • 4km definitely has better performance than 12km, so will keep that for sure
    • want to evaluate the value added from 1.33km in terms of model performance

  • Mark: ERTAC is close to v16.2 (comments came in in February) - looking at those soon
    • new shutdowns keep coming in - individual companies come out with plans in "waves"
    • Serpil: shutdowns have been projected by IPM
  • Alison recommend bringing up agenda items for EGU call to Serpil and Susan

  • Eric:
    • In middle of some CAMx runs for 2016 and 2023 with 2016v1 on OTC 4km domain
    • source apportionment modeling for 2023 on 12km domain just finished
    • looking forward to version 2
    • 4km surrogate had an issue for rec marine - posting new surrogate
    • one hour time shift in SMOKE - Eric will follow up on this offline

  • Zac: diesel defeat devices and impacts on emissions - has anyone modeled this?
    • Debbie mentioned that they have been working on estimating emissions from removing devices from medium and heavy duty trucks [using tool developed by Jenny St. Clair]
    • Debbie described the resolution of the tool outputs - some presentations have been given
    • there are some shops that "specialize" on this - it's an emissions estimation tool
    • available on Github
    • Zac has a report by Ramboll to provide some adjusted EF factor tables for MOVES - based on defeat devices; will model at some point

3.       How we might be able to use the emissions collaborative as a way to facilitate engagement between EPA and states/regions on future modeling platforms (Zac, others)

  • letter was sent to Peter about collaborative process
  • ideally would like to see data and configurations for the modeling before it was started
  • motivation: where there is going to be a culpability assessment, stakeholders should have a chance to see what data are going, and anticipate source/receptor relationship
  • Were looking for more collaboration but more practical process than 2016v1 collaborative
  • there are established relationships and tools with the Inventory Collaborative
  • how can we use Collaborative if we are to use it?
  • presented ideas to Mike K, Peter, others today and ask today
  • will see how they respond regarding a path forward
  • We might be able to leverage Collaborative to figure out a better way to collaborate
  • Process needs to be faster and less resource intensive, but different from just releasing data with TSDs
  • Alison mentioned we are trying to balance a lot of things: regulatory objectives, court-ordered deadlines, etc. The door is always open if people notice things. We try to collaborate as best we can.
  • Zac would like to see more structured communication and finite time - they are not trying to slow things down - can be on order of weeks and getresponse on what we did with feedback
  • Jeff U: really appreciated the collaborative process - thanks for making that effort; sometimes work happens and states don't have time to turn things around; would like to build on success of collaborative - it worked and should be applied in other areas

June 9 2021

Agenda

  1. MOVES3 data posted for 2016
  2. Review of projections approaches and data

Attendees

Alison, Mark J, Tom R, Zac, Debbie, Winston, Tammy, Byeong, Susan, Caroline, Jeongran, Serpil, Hang Qu, Michael, Jeff U, Jeff V, Xiangyu, Tom M, Doug B, Sarah, Mary

Notes

1. We discussed that the onroad and nonroad outputs from MOVES3 for 2016 are posted here: https://gaftp.epa.gov/Air/emismod/2016/v2/

  • Zac and Mark mentioned it would be helpful to run a day or partial month from the scripts - e.g., a day is corrupted. Alison will look into that

2. We discussed that there is projection information available from the following locations:

3. Next call: August 11

May 12, 2021

Agenda

  1. Data sharing for 2016v2
  2. What have centers been doing?

Attendees

Alison, Zac, Susan, Doug, Jim B, Caroline, Winston, Serpil, Tammy Mark J, Tom R, Jeff U, Jeff V, Jeongran, Eric, Xiangyu, Jin, Byeong, Mary, Heather; Not here: Sarah, Norm, Tom M

Notes

1. Data sharing for 2016v2:

  • What about inventory mode for onroad?
    • Alison mentioned that there are countyxSCC inventories available for all completed cases on FTP
  • Jeff discussed np_oilgas for 2016v2: EQUATES for exploration and WRAP for production
  • Improvement includes prescribed burn diurnal profile updates and fires split by sector
  • EPA reviewed sector plans for 2016v2 and mentioned late summer as target for sharing 2016, 2023, and 2026 inventories

2. What have centers been doing?

  • LADCO working on modeling 3 grids for 2016 (12km, 4km, 1.3km)
    • working on rest of inventory and will go to 2023
    • interested in 2016v2 once available
    • working w/ CAMx on fine grids
    • 4km files are large
    • onroad and nonroad split into diesel, non-diesel

  • NY continuing to work with 2016v1
    • processed w/ 12km OTC grid + 4km
    • doing some source apportionment for 2023 - also w/ diesel + non-diesel for OR & NR state + sector
    • running CMAQ + CAMx

  • MARAMA:
    • working to get ERTAC v16.2 running in June & July
    • working on diesel tampering emissions

  • GA
    • wondering about plans to remove CB from CMAQ
    • is onroad NOx still overestimated? - see Toro et al. paper

April 14, 2021

Agenda

  1. Ongoing work at EPA and data requests
  2. Development of 2016 case with some 2017 NEI
  3. Other topics

Attendees

Alison, Susan, Debbie, Doug, Caroline, Winston, Serpil, Tammy, Mark J, Sarah, Tom R, Tom M, Jeff U, Jeff V, Jeongran, Eric

Notes

1. Ongoing work at EPA + data requests

  • 2016, 2023, 2026 MOVES3 - 2023 needed by LADCO and Northeast for NAAs in addition to 2016 and 2026
  • is taking LADCO a while to run SMOKE-MOVES for different grids - could they get inventory mode version? A:EPA posts county SCC inventories fore each case we've run
  • Mark: is the nonpoint inventory we post good enough for SIP modeling? A can't answer. Consult your regional rep
  • EQUATES initiative - share onroad on MOVES MJO - Kristen may present in May
  • Fed/State WG (Norm/Mary) - working to find dates in May

2. Working on a 2016 case with more 2017

  • Can EPA provide modeling input files for 2016? (they are interested once available)
  • OTC modeling committee - discuss incorporating their rules into inventories
  • 2026 projections needed by LADCO and MARAMA/OTC/NESCAUM asked about this - possibly TX, Denver and possibly other areas (CA) [areas moderate for 2015 could bump up to serious (2026)]

3. Other topics

  • April 22 EGU WG call - discussion with Tom R; trying to get some RCU folks on that - call moved to May due to a conflict for Tom R
  • Tom / Jeff Vukovich - OOOOa control program - getting more info from operators?
  • Tom Moore Also working on EGUs
  • A lot of rules promulgated in Obama administration but unclear how they were actually implemented
  • Tom: Projections have a hard time accounting for incentive-base programs (e.g. to support climate)
  • WRAP working on a 2017 platform (only base year); finished GEOSchem, running WRF at 36/12 (due May), considering making some adjustments to 2017 oil/gas, otherwise using 2017 as-is; no plans for projections
  • ozone season total summaries for 2017 for base and future years for 2026
  • Meet next month? If don't need we can cancel later (scheduled for May 12)
  • Paper outline: Tom M looked at this; Tom R also did; nuts and bolts to describe the effort

February 10, 2021

Agenda

  1. Recent data releases and ongoing work at EPA (Alison)
  2. Needs for modeling inventories during next couple years (All)
  3. Ideas for building platforms for non-triennial NEI years (Zac)
  4. Set dates for upcoming meetings

Attendees

Alison, Zac, Tom R, Tammy, Jin, Kathleen (for Jeff U), Debbie, Susan, Doug, Byeong, Mary, Jeff V, Sarah, Todd Pasley (NC), Michael Woodman (MD), Tom M, Mark J, Caroline, Jim B, Serpil, Winston (NY)

Notes

1. Recent data releases and ongoing work at EPA

Alison reviewed a presentation about recent data package updates including the airport correction in 2017 NEI, SAPRC availability, 2018 platform development for CDC collaboration, ORD's EQUATES project

  • Tom mentioned they has some 2018 EGU data and wondered if it would be helpful
  • Tom asked if we could review the new Canada and Mexico inventories at an upcoming meeting

Alison mentioned getting questions from various states and contractors on availability of 2017NEI-based projections and MOVES3 data.

There are questions about which state and federal rules are included in 2016v1 and which may not be included either because they happened too recently or were not included for other reasons.

  • Zac mentioned that LADCO had recently collected data on state and federal rules
  • Susan mentioned that OTC was working updating its list of rules

2. Discussion of state/regional needs

Alison pointed out that some states are using different base years than 2016 including 2017, 2018, and 2019. A discussion of state/region needs followed:

  • LADCO is still using 2016 base year but needs 2026 future year
  • OTC needs 2026 future year
  • WESTAR is working on a base year only 2017 platform
  • SESARM doesn't have regulatory needs but will do some planning modeling
  • Tom mentioned that a high-medium-low approach for projections could be useful
  • Zac mentioned RCP inventories work with multiple projections

3. Discussion of ideas for buiding modeling platforms for non-triennial NEI years

  • Zac reviewed the table he prepared considering which sectors might be reused between interim years.

  • Some sectors have activity changes, some met changes, and some both

4. Next meetings will be monthly and canceled if no topics available.