FTP Retrieval System
OverviewThis page documents the configuration and process for allowing warehouse data requesters to retrieve their data over ftp.
The goals of this system are as follows:
- Allow users to retrieve their requested data over the internet.
- Limit users to retrieving only the data they have requested
- Disallow shell access for users - File retrieval only
- Require that users provide a username and password when retrieving their data.
- Require users to retrieve their data within a specified time frame.
- Avoid duplicating data on the server.
- Prevent users from changing data housed on the server.
- Maintain the directory structure of requested data.
- Automate the system configuration as much as possible.
- vsfptd configured for chroot to home
- ftponly shell
- /etc/ftponlyshell -
.shscript that echos a warning and exists
- Added to /etc/shells
- Create user account on viking (if not existing)
- make a home directory
- specify expiration
- set users shell to /etc/ftponlyshell
- Update existing user account
- extend expiration?
- ensure shell is /etc/ftponlyshell
- Build matching directory structure